Noisy laptop power supply

Reggie49

G'Day Guys,
Got a problem I'm hoping someone will help with.

After waiting for nearly a year to get a Win 7 driver for my ESI Duafire soundbox, I've managed to be able to get a Beta driver - which now allows me to use my laptop to try and get back into doing some basic recording.

However, when the power supply is connected, any background activity on the laptop, (ie. HDD activity etc), generates a slight noise like that of short wave radio. It's not a earth hum type problem.

When I contacted ESI I was told if the noise doesn't happen when the power supply is not connected, then they are confident the driver isn't causing the problem. They suggested that I connect and use a DI box or ground loop isolators between the outputs of the audio device and external monitor system/mixer etc to eliminate the problem. Which really means nothing to me :(

For those of you that may have experienced this type of problem does this sound like a possible solution, or do you have something better in your bag of tricks? If so, can you tell me in laymans terms what I need to do please?

Hoping someone will offer some suggestions. Cheers Ron

Back