Audio Equipment:
Peavey Mic
Radio Shack Stereo Sound Mixer
Old Stereo Amp

Here's how I have it hooked up.
Mic running to Mixer
Mixer to Line In via RCA to 1/4'
Line Out To Stereo Amp for Speakers.

When recording vocals I have a alot of what sounds like electrical hum. I have to microphone in a closet, so it won't pick up the cpu but I seem to have the hum regardless. I am able to get rid of the noise via Cool Edit's Noise Reduction but I am hoping to find a way to not have it in the first place. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

J. Mullins
redoutproductions@hotmail.com

Hum can be caused by a lot of things - the most common, especially if you are recording at home, is either cheap cabling, dirty connectors, or more commonly, electrical ground noise.

Here are some articles that might help:

http://www.guitar9.com/studionine7.html
http://www.ethanwiner.com/dimmers.html

You can always try the obvious stuff first - if this always happens with a particular mic, try switching mics, or mic cables. Also, make sure your cables aren't laying too close to devices that can affect your signal - such as power transformers, microwaves (yes!), other power cords, AC outlets and switches, etc.

Cheers.
Scott

Make sure to plug all your units into the same outlet. Sounds like a ground loop, which happens when two electrical devices have two seperate routes to ground. Plugging everything into the same A/C outlet USUALLY solves this problem.

If that don't do it, then some of the stuff listed by incursio might be the problem. INVESTIGATE and let us know.

Good luck.

Ed

Try turning off your computer monitor, too. It doesn't seem like this would be a problem if you're recording in your closet, but it's worth a try. My monitor used to give me major buzzing problems.

Good point. The RFI it emits on unbalanced cable lines can be an issue. If you have an all balanced signal path, no problem usually. :)

Ed

Try pluggin a radio into the outlets you use for your gear. If you experience the same type of noise, then you are getting ground interference; house electrical system acting as an antenna for all parasitic electrical noises: fridge, heat/ac, lights, etc. You can get noise filters/supressors from people like Radio Shack.

This can be caused by so many thigs that it really is a process of elimination. It can eb dodgy cables or even more technical cable problems like the fact that most mics are balanced hence you should use a balanced XLR cable and the inputs on any decent mixer will be balanced.

It could be any number fo things although I strongly suspect that Radio Shack mixer u are using.....

I had a pretty bad hum for a while with a SB card. I opened up the back of my puter & re-seated the card, made sure that the screw was tight & blew out all the accumulated dust from the inside of the computer. It eliminated the problem. If all else fails, try that.

Thanks for your replies. I plugged the Mixer into the same outlet as the CPU and it has made a great difference. I don't know why I didn't try that before. There is still some noise but it is less aggrevating than before. It sounds like a sleeping baby where before it sounded like running water on a drum head. I'm currently looking for a new mixer because that is where the noise seems to be coming from. Any suggestions for a digital mixer that will work with CEP, SoundForge 5, Cubase, Cakewalk, etc..
I've seen the mixer that CW has put out, it looks impressive in theory, but never seen in real world use

J. Mullins

Back