Noise Issues...

Audioguy65

I've had a Home Studio for some time now and have recently noticed noise in my system. It is always present- and even picks up my mouse/ keyboard movements. It's obviously present in recordings, so I have to remove it.
I plan on pulling my equipment desk away from the wall and isolating the power wiring from the signal cables- which is generally the top culprit.
Any other areas I should look into?

Equip:

Mackie Mixer
Focusrite VM Pro
Neumann TLM103/ EV RE20
Alesis Amp/ Conrad Amp Stage
Dell PC

Platforms:

Soundscape 32
Cubase SX

Thanks!

It kinda depends on what kind of noise it is AFA how to fix it. Is it 60Hz power/ground hum...is it digital high frequency noise...or...?
Are there unshielded monitors near the computer...?
Have you tried individually powering things off to see if it goes away?

You need to try and locate the source...it could be one thing causing it.
Without actually seeing your setup, how everything is hooked up, where power comes from, etc...it's kinda hard to give specific advice on how to fix it.
TBH, I doubt it's the power cables against the audio cables causing a problem...unless you have some unshielded wiring there.

Always diagnose problems like this one component at a time. If the noise is present at the input of Cubase or soundscape, you have to diagnose from the input side. First make sure it's not the output side by checking a known good sound file through each output you have available(onboard sound card, interface , etc.) if its not in the output then the best way to locate the noise is to run minimized, one input at a time until the source becomes indicated. If you can post a sample somewhere more folks will be glad to jump in to help

re:

It's behaving as 60 cycle hum- although it's at a high frequency. I am using a combination of balanced and unbalanced cables, so I will try powering one component at a time. It's evident with the mixer and amp on and is present when recording- whether via Cubase/ Soundscape or simple Adobe Audition stuff.

It kinda depends on what kind of noise it is AFA how to fix it. Is it 60Hz power/ground hum...is it digital high frequency noise...or...?
Are there unshielded monitors near the computer...?
Have you tried individually powering things off to see if it goes away?

You need to try and locate the source...it could be one thing causing it.
Without actually seeing your setup, how everything is hooked up, where power comes from, etc...it's kinda hard to give specific advice on how to fix it.
TBH, I doubt it's the power cables against the audio cables causing a problem...unless you have some unshielded wiring there.

Present "on" the recording or playing back? If it's on the recording you should be seeing noise as a waveform in a track on which you record silence. If not then we're probably looking at output side of DAW . If you are using a USB interface I would start there, unplug the interface with everything else on and if you hear no noise then you know its either ITB(possible noise on USB-many hubs can cause noise and some computers) or in the interface. If the noise is present with interface deconnected, than you have eliminated everything before the interface.

Back