No sound from the guitar

Troubadouroli

So I just bought an audio interface which has 2 porta, one for the mic/xlr and one for the guitar. The one for the vocal mic works just fine, but I'm getting no sound whatsoever from the guitar. I've bought a new cable, thinking it was that, it wasn't and I'm still having the same problem. I can run the guitar through an amp just fine, but there's just nothing coming through in audacity. I cant find any help online and the instructions don't help at all. I wish I could give more info, but I can't. Really frustrating,

Hi,
What is the interface model? Focusrite solo, by chance?

It could be that the mic input is recognised as channel one and the guitar input is channel two,
so you'd have to set the input to 'Right' or 'Two' in your recording software to get instrument input.

Hope it's that simple. It rarely is. ;)

I'll have to look into how to change the channel im recording. Is it not possible to record from both at once, that was my intention....

Yes, recording from both at once should be possible, but without knowing what software you are using a specific answer is difficult.

In short, you need to make sure the Input specified for the track matches where you have plugged in, e.g., Vocal Track is set to Input 1, and Guitar Track is set to Input 2. Then, before you click the red circle (or whatever it is) to record, you may also need to enable recording on each track.

The input level where the instrument is plugged in must also be set correctly, e.g., if the 1/4" input is set to be a LINE level, you will need to usually move a switch to INST, since the guitar is a much lower signal. Or, in some cases it's the opposite - the interface expects a low level instrument, so there is a switch labeled LINE that needs changed. (Just guessing here since we don't know what you have.)

If you see the recording is happening, e.g., a new audio signal is being written in both tracks, you've got that right and it's the Input choice or level that needs fixed.

As has been mentioned above, the most likely fix is to create a track and get it to recognise input 2 (or input R depending on how Audacity works).

If you want to record two tracks simultaneously (e.g. voice and guitar), you will need to create two tracks, one which recognises input 1, the other recognising input 2.

Back