Newbie Question

Minnows Larkin

I asked this question as a reply in another thread and thought maybe I should ask again.
I am setting up a computer for the sole purpose of digital recording. It will have a 160Gb hard drive and am upgrading to 1Gb RAM from 512mb. My question is concerning the soundcard. I have a SoundBlaster Live 64. Will that do the job for me or will I have to upgrade?
And if so, what would be the recommendation of you good folks?

Thanks

Soundblaster card is a gaming card...not neccesarily for pro audio...but it all depends on what you want to do?

Be a little more specific..like ...do you plan on recording more than 1 track?
what software you gonna be using...ect...

there is a crapload of info on soundcards on here man, i'm not being a dick but the best way to find out is to search this forum.

basically, we need to know your budget, how many tracks you want to do at once, what kind of connections you want, what level of quality etc. There are tons of choices out there. I dont have experience with creatives crap, the the crap i've read about their crap, puts me off of them (crap).

How many tracks to you plan on recording at once?

EDIT: also you want usb or a pci card or a firewire card?

do you own traction right now? if not, buying an echo card (which i would suggest anyways since they are seet) would come with traction for free. www.echoaudio.com. i'm planning on getting the layla 3G when i get some cash.

Most likely won't be doing more than four tracks at a time, USB most likely. No, I haven't gotten Tracktion yet. I'll check into the Echo site.

any particuler reason you want to go usb? a pci sound card or firewire tranfers much faster than usb...also...now...what is your budget?

Well, like I said, I'm new to digital recording and I just am not familiar with all the different type cards. that's why I'm asking advice. Budget's about $500.00 at this point.

the delta1010 seems to be the choice around here for that price range...or as mentioned above..the echo....also if ya have a firewire connection....the firepod! all have midi,mic pres,and atleast 8 tracks at once!

Last edited:
I have mics and the instruments we'll use. I just don't have the recording program yet (and suitable soundcard apparently). I know I can get Tracktion for $150.00 and, as far as Echo Audiofire 8 goes, I see that it sells for $599.00. I'd like to spend less than the budget I have at the present if possible without sacrificing quality as much as possible.

Back