newbie needs help!!

epachee

i am looking for a sound card/package to record some high quality tracks for a possible demo.
-i dont need more than 2 simultaneous tracks recorded at a time
-i think i do need a mixer/preamp with phantom power for vocals and an XLR input
-i would like something that came with capable software for editing and mixing and the like
-ive been looking at the digi001, but it seems a little too expensive and i think it was designed to capture more than a couple tracks at a time (which i dont need)....am i wrong?
-is there something like the digi001 that is designed to only record 1-2 tracks simultaneously?
-budget of around 500$

and now a question that will indicate how ignorant i am:
can i hook up an electric guitar or bass to a preamp/mixer and have that work to record, or do i need to hook to an amp first?

thanks for your time and your help,
eric

What is high quality? Of course there are allways better preamps, but for me it is value for money... and it's not a Behringer mixer.

:o

2 channels for $169 is good enuff for me....the pres in the Omni smoke those Behringer pres....

Mia-$199 and Mic220 $169 = $368

for $389 the Omni Studio gives you 2 killer preamps plus MORE inputs plus s/pdif plus channel inserts plus headphone outs plus...well, you get the picture......

Back