New studio, need buying advice

yevri

Hi,

I have previously used Deck II for recording and editing via the Mac miniplug. This has been fine for our multimedia stuff, but I have the green light to buy more professional stuff and also want to record demos of songs mainly using a mic on a guitar, vocal, keyboard and midi for rhythm stuff. So I need advice on what to buy.

I'm looking at getting a sound card to get better audio than the Mac miniplug. I may be able to get the money for the Digi001 with Pro Tools LE ($1000). Problem is, we need to put software on more than one machine for editing purposes and PT LE only runs with their hardware, so I'm leaning more towards MOTU's Digital Performer ($400) and buying a cheaper sound card. I really only need a couple of inputs anyway. Any suggestions on cards? Is this the way to go? I've been looking into Echo's Gina24 ($400) and Motu's Fastlane USB for midi ($79).

Gina has an input box as well, do I need a mixer with it too?
What do I need to look out for with these cards?
How do they compare to the Audiomedia III card?

Any advice here would be great.

Thanks,

Yevri

Go ProTools;)

IMHOi think that ProTools LE is still a good investment for you. You can actually pick it up for around 830.00 at GTR CNTR or Sam Ash. Digidesign is also releasing a free version of the LE software that needs no additional hardware(I think today) I'll be at AES in LA today so i'll find out and post later.

The benifit of going this route is that you can start you project on the budget concious side using LE then if the need arises you can burn the session info onto a cd and take it to any studio in NYC, London, or LA and instantly be running on a full blown system.

I have the mix plus set up and rather than having to bring my complete rig to some studios I can go in and record the basic tracks in a great LA studio on a vintage neve or ssl than just bring a cd or dvd-ram of the session back to my home studio and continue with overdubs and mixing.

"I have the green light to buy more professional stuff." If thats the case then buy more professional stuff.

The last thing is that the new copy protection allows for the software to be installed on more than one cpu at a time. ProTools only asks that you use it on only one a time.

I think that I am the only supporter of protools on this sight but it is everywhere in LA. Often it is the deciding factor on where people record.
best of luck, j

back from AES

The word at the digidesign area was that the free version will be available 11 days from now. This version will only allow playback of 8 voices but that should be enough for most editing needs - what do you want for free. It will be available for free as a download or for $10 if you want a CD mailed to you.

Best of luck,
j

Thanks for all your info, it is really helpful. I am definitely leaning towards Pro Tools if I can get the powers to put out the money and get the software download for other machines for free.

I like Pro Tools for a number of reasons. I wonder still about its midi capabilities, but since I don't do much midi, I think I'll be okay.

Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how it goes.

Yevri

I don't use midi at all but since release of PT5.0 midi implimentation has supposedly been greatly inproved. PT has plug in software synths which can be controlled via midi, or you can draw the notes on a midi track and have the synth repond to that. Very cool stuff, but I don't have any particular use for it.
I know I sound like a part of digidesigns marketing team but I assure you I am not. I think I am just fanatical about it because I started out hard disk recording on cubase and found it impossable to master. When I switched to PT life just easier (in the studio)
If you are serious you can go to digidesign.com and order a free vedio online about PT LE and find out more about midi support.
good luck,
j

price drop

I think that right now, the best place to get the digi001 system is at bayviewproaudio.com

it costs $795, shipping included, and if you ask ,you also get a copy of sekd samplitude 24/96

Pro tools here I come

I am also trying to resolve whether to go with the 001 in my set up or go with the MOTU 2408. I've read much about both, and wondered what you all think about the 24 track limitation on the Digi 001.

I don't like the price of the 2408 especially that I want midi, and have to get Digital Performer and a midi interface, and all of that is already included in the 001. However, I like the fact that with the MOTU system, I am only limited by my machine, etc. Can always upgrade the machine. If Digi ever comes up with an unlimited tracks version of the 001 (say the 002), I'm in.

Also, MOTU's site seems to indicate you can convert the MOTU files into protools files so that should you want to go to a large studio to finish your work, you have that ability.

Any thoughts?

Al

Thanks, Jamiecer, for all your info. And thanks CyanJaguar for the price info - I found a similar price but bayviewproaudio.com looks like a great deal.

I thought the same thing about the 2408 as Al did. It's very expensive and you have to buy Digital Performer and a midi interface separate. I did like the way Digital Performer looked and read some positive reviews that said it was more robust in the midi area than pro tools. But since I'm not a big midi guy, I'm hoping that Pro Tools will suffice.

The track limitation is a shame, but I doubt that I'll need more - famous last words - just like I'd never fill a 1 gig drive, 6 gig drive, 10 gig drive....

It sounds like we can get digi 001 for $800 (thanks for the info). That's a bit more reasonable - making the 2408 less attractive.

I have another question too: when using digi 001 and pro tools, do you need to use a mixer and compressor and the like when recording or do you go straight into the digidesign hardware?

Thanks,

Yevri

The digi 001 has 2 built in mic pre's so that you could theorically (?) just plug in and record. If you have access to a better mic pre, dbx, art, meek, neve ect you can go mic - mic pre - comp - line in 001.

One of the cool things about the 001 and LE is the ability to run RTAS plugins like compressors and other effects based upon how much horsepower you mac has.

As for a mixer, I have one hooked up to two of the analog outs of PT. I use it only as a volume knob for my monitors. I have an Avalon mic pre so that is just about the only thing I use to get into protools.

j

I don't think that the digi001 can be beat in terms of price/features, but if one had more money, it might be helpful to look into other systems.

For example, The delta 1010(with vegas pro sounds better than digi001 and costs $700 . Add a very cool preamp like the dbx 386 for 420( or if youre more budget conscious, a joemeek vc3q for $250). upgrade to Logic audio platinum for $315( or budget conscious Logic audio gold for $245)
At a total of between $1200 and $1450, you get a setup that is arguably far more superior to the digi001 bundle.for instance, 96 tracks, 24/96 recording, superior preamp ith tube, 24/96 digital output, logic which is used in many a pro studio etc etc.

Back