New Sound Card

Bones

Found a new soundcard made by Hoontech.

Just wondered if anyone has heard of these guys, I sure havn't.

Looks comparable to the Digi001 option for PC.

8 in's + out's 24bit 96khz A>D, D>A. AKM Converters.

SPDIF 2 ch optical with lightpipe option.

108 DB dynamic range.

3ms latency in Cubase.

ASIO 1+2.

NT drivers!!!!

$995 AUS!!!!

$520 US!!!!!

There's got to be something wrong with it, but I can't find it.

Any ideas where the bogey could be?

That sounds like a sweet deal. The rack mount outboard converters seem like a good concept. The 3 style digital port is classy. The MIDI port is a nice plus if it works.
The headphone amp is a convenient extra.
But wassup with that "to be announced" version of Logic Audio mixer software?

That's still within spitting range of the layla24. The reports here are that Gina's big sister is a nice card.
The Digi and MOTU stuff is just outside that stream of spit.

OK-
who's gonna step up to the plate and send me one to test?

I have it and it works great. I haven't compared it to any similar setups as I don't have access to any other cards but I'm happy with it. I had to get an external, regulated power supply for US$40 because my graphics card messed around with digital noise but not many have that problem. Probably one of the best values on the market. Not the best quality available on the planet but I don't think you can beat the price, number of I/O and quality combination.

You can buy it from here: http://www.buydigital.co.kr/digital/english/products_showcase.htm for US$360. The shipping was $50 to Sweden so that is probably the most you'll have to pay. Check the import taxe and sales tax that might be added but it will probably be less than US$520 total. I got mine from them and they shipped quick and everything arrived safely.

Also check out this place if you're in the EC: http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/artikel-142829.html?sn=054e34430a2e8a75c7cbbbcfa3156cf4 it costs about US$370 but you'll get around the added taxes.

It got a pretty good review in the only magazine that reviewed it so far (that I've seen): http://www.pcrecording.com/hoontech.htm

The included manual is (or was at least) shite but hoontech.com has a good Q&A section with tons of info. The inputs are unbalanced so keep the leads short. Don't trust the built-in preamps - they're not top quality... Also, ther are no stable W2000 drivers yet if that is a concern.

Thay have started selling it bundeled with some software but I don't know anything about that.

Hope it helped

/Ola

BTW I don't work for them etc. I just think it's good value.

[Edited by ola on 10-19-2000 at 01:56]

Thanx guys,

I've been touring for the last few days so the testing had to go on hold.

Tomorrow I'm going to have a look and listen to the card and see if it stacks up.

The asio 2 drivers are out so I will be able to hear how they sound.

Thanx for the vid Card heads up Ola, will post again once I've heard the beastie.

BTW my US$520 was a guestimate based on the Aussie dollar quote I have from round the corner.

We get US$0.53 for ours ATM

:)

[Edited by Bones on 10-23-2000 at 05:21]

No I don't think it has W2000 drivers, bit it's got ASIO2 and that's what I want :)

I heard it going Yesterday. hmm it's good, well for the price it's great.

The bundled version of Logic is pretty limited (only16trx FFS), but it's ok for entry level.

Yes Ola the preamps are a but sus but they'll do the job for me till I can get a better one.

There is also an option to get the DAC III and the ADC III with balanced ins/outs but the $ are getting close to all the others with this option.

I think I'm gonna do it
:)

There are W2k drivers but they're apparently pretty shakey still. Don't trust them yet.

Back