New set up driving me crazy

Not sure But I may be making some headway. After some deep thought and trying about every obvious thing I and others could think of I remembered that I burned a cd to make sure the drive in the new computer worked and the distortion also rendered and burned to the cd. Played it on another system to be sure. Got me thinking that pretty much eliminates the new monitors and sound cards along with their drivers as I'm pretty sure [and experts correct me if I'm wrong here], That rendering and cd buring from the DAW or host program happens from the time line and the host program itself, along with FX's etc but has little or nothing to do with any audio portion of Windows 10, Nero, or even anything that might be running in the backround. I would think if it was something other than the DAW program and the associated FX's running along with it I would get a clean distortion free redbook cd, and only have my problem on play back. Does this make sense? I ask beause if it does then I need to go back and concentrate on the DAW programs and FX chains settings. Maybe I missed something and am clipping somewhere. The entire system is new including the DAW program and all plugin software. Sure would be nice If all that is wrong is my bad engineering. I may not be the easiest but sure am the least expensive thing to fix.

It's easier to check that than type it out : ) But just playing a commercial mp3 distorts ?

Originally I thought I had distortion on store bought cd's and a Pro mp3 but when I rechecked it yesterday I thought maybe not so much. These new monitors are much brighter than my old ones so my point of reference is off. {Compared to what I am used to} I am going to test this again on Friday and go back to the DAW disable all the plugins. Turn everything waaay down and start over.Then see what I have. I was playing with a lot of new compressors Waves C6 etc. On the 2 tracks as well as the Master. I wanted to throw the kitchen sink at the new processor and see how it did. I may have screwed one thing up badly or several things by a little creating one big mess. I've read that multi-band fancy compressors can do and work wonders if you know how to use them but produce disastrous results if you over use or misuse them. I may have. I sure hope so, that would be a really easy fix.

Last edited:
It could be new monitors need some break in period. Let it play over for some extended period

Originally I thought I had distortion on store bought cd's and a Pro mp3 but when I rechecked it yesterday I thought maybe not so much. These new monitors are much brighter than my old ones so my point of reference is off. {Compared to what I am used to} I am going to test this again on Friday and go back to the DAW disable all the plugins. Turn everything waaay down and start over.Then see what I have. I was playing with a lot of new compressors Waves C6 etc. On the 2 tracks as well as the Master. I wanted to throw the kitchen sink at the new processor and see how it did. I may have screwed one thing up badly or several things by a little creating one big mess. I've read that multi-band fancy compressors can do and work wonders if you know how to use them but produce disastrous results if you over use or misuse them. I may have. I sure hope so, that would be a really easy fix.
Hadn't you already tried stripped down tests' (without going back and re-reading) of audio earlier in the thread?

Yes but I double checked everything again, even hooked my old monitors up to the new system last night for apples to apples test. The distortion is there, no doubt about it and I'm at my wits end, I've tried everything obvious, easy and even have gotten into the moderately difficult. I really don't know what to do next. Only thing I think I can safely say at this point is it has to be a Windows 10 issue or a defective hardware component other than the obvious sound card The Dell on line system scan says all of the hardware passes and is okay. Open to any and all suggestions, Right now I have a 900.00 paper weight. Every scan I've done says I have the most up to date drivers. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I guess I could go through the headache of a complete system restore but I have little faith in that as I believe this computer was like this out of the box, My bad I should have returned it.

The computer came with RTealtek onboard audio, I have the distortion with both the realtek and the soundblaster

Not sure how to post audio file on here. I have another question for The IT experts. I'm now trying to figure out if I have a hardware [Bad motherboard etc] problem or if it is windows 10, So my question is if I render a 24 bit 44.1k stereo file from the time line of either Reaper or Vegas Edit Pro 14, to a file folder, am I bypassing all windows audio processes or is the rendered file still passing thorough any part of windows 10 that could distort. Thought being If I can render clean 24 bit files if they do not pass through any windows processes then windows 10 and or backround processes might be the likely culprit. For the most part I have eliminated Reaper, Edit Pro 14, Waves plugins, Speaker monitors and sound cards and out of date drivers.

Back