Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New set up driving me crazy

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm old enough that I cut my teeth in the analog world with tape machines, 2 rules of thumb, do not overdrive anything unintentionally and you can Y all of the outputs you want but never Y an input. This sounds like something is being overdriven [turned up too high] or like 2 inputs are Y'ed together. [ 2 input processes fighting to enter the audio chain somewhere] Kind of that sound like when the snares on a snare drum rattle from the toms or loud audio. In the analog world you would look to see if you were over driving your pre's, mixer etc. and make sure you wern't clipping your monitor amp. I believe this machine was like this out of the box because I was disappointed with the audio before I installed any 3rd party software, I guess that is a good news bad news thing. I should have taken it back. My bad!!

Thanks
    Another thing, I have to be careful because this type situation can eat tweeters/ high frequency drivers real quick!!

Thanks
    Well, modern machines want to let you record whatever you are hearing online and can be routed to your inputs. My newer (2010 ) sound blaster and one realtek came , or where installed with that virtual device active.

Thanks
    Thanks so much, all of your replies are helpful and helping me narrow this down [I hope} , I am stressing big time, this is my hobby not my job, I have limited time to spend on this but have to get it right or there is no point. Unfortunately the "Sweet Spot" for most of us in recording and mixing is pretty narrow. Getting your mixes 80% is not going to cut it. This is not something I can live with,it is making it impossible to reference correctly for mixing. If I don't solve this I will have one expensive internet surfing machine, and I don't surf the interment for enjoyment much.

Thanks
    On this dual xeon 3.20 HP XP 32 and 64 dual boot, I was able to remove media player in total. This board has the Analog Device's SoundMAX chip and I leave it running even though I have two USB interfaces sitting on top when I want to use them

Thanks
    I ran a system/ hardware scan through Dell's website and all hardware checked out. I've checked all the easy most likely stuff, I hooked the new Monitors up to my Tascam 2488 and listened to store bought cd's while I was screwing with the other one. The Monitors seem to be fine. Give you a lot of bass when on the floor. I guess I'm down to 2 choices, a complete system restore or since that is where I am headed I may as well start uninstalling things I don't use or need, may get lucky. I could look at one of those programs like conflict catcher but I don't know how good they are or if they even still make it. Whatever it is is passing the windows 10 and all driver updates. I'm growing more fond of my old system that served me well and is still working. I can always use the video and audio monitors and I needed a new internet machine anyway so maybe that is what this will become. Maybe I should eat the 1K I've got in new 64 bit software and pick up a refurbished Xeon 32 bit with windows 7 installed. I've seen them for as low as 400.00. I'll keep you posted as I try things right now I need to get away from it for awhile. There is a lot of crap that can go like Groove music, Dropbox, whatever that is, and since I'm using a soundblaster PCI audio card I could probably dump the Realtek Drivers, I notices in task manager some HD audio things were running in the backround that did not look like creative maybe they can go too. I forced them to quit but they came back. " A lot of living in a lifetime".

Thanks
    I got a refurb q6600 ?? core 2 quad for $150 w7 pro 64. It's dog compared to the new stuff, but I don't seem to run into trouble. I'm not a big VST user, though. Supposedly the 2.4 will clock to 3ghz easy enough and remain stable.

Creative always has software that want's to take clock cycles, I've never noticed that with realtek?

Thanks
    Started removing useless [to me] and not necessary programs today. Things like Netflix, Skype Power music, Cyberlink, I even removed the Realtek Driver for the onboard audio. No luck yet has not solved my distortion issue. I'm finding some of the things I would like to dump are part of a bundle install and not as easy to remove. That takes an IT wizard better than I. In regards to your refurbished q6600? they only have to be as fast as you need them to be. If you are only doing audio and not rendering video a system smartly put together with a good engineer can do an awful lot with very little. Right now for what I'm doing my 12 year old Pentium 4. 3.0 630HT with 4 GB ram, XP 32 bit is kicking my 6th Gen i7 quad core's butt for end use product.

Thanks
    Did you try another slot ? One often want sound way, away from the GPU

Thanks
    I could try that but my thought was since bot the onboard audio and PCI audio had the problem it may not make a difference. Also I used a 4x express slot, I only have a 8x slot left can I put it in there?

Thread Information