New PC recording environment (subtitle: problems with AudioBuddy interface)

lindamac

Hi, all - again!

I posted this in the "Microphones" forum (https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71813), but I don't think that was the correct place to post (please forgive - I'm new to this).

My post has a twofold purpose:
- Try and get decent quality out of an AudioBuddy interface
- Request some info on setting up a good quality computer
recording environment on a windows XP PC.

Previous post read...

I'm just getting started setting up a recording environment on my Windows XP PC. We currently use a Roland VS-840 unit for home recording projects, but I'd like to make the switch to computer recording.

To start, the recording projects will be along the lines of recording vocal demos with pre-recorded backing tracks. I am currently using CoolEdit 2000 with the studio plugin.

My biggest problem right now is getting a suitable audio interface to record my vocals. My first purchase (to get my feet wet) was an AudioBuddy interface, which is plugged into the line-in on an SB Live card. The vocal quality I am getting is awful - low volume and tinny. I am using the same microphone I use with my projects on the Roland VS-840 (a sennheiser 855) with good results. (note: I know this is not a preferred studio mic, but it's presence is good enough for what I am using it for).

I had done some research on this board and didn't see any similar problems noted with the AudioBuddy, so I figure I must have something setup incorrectly. If anybody can offer any suggestions on getting this setup correctly and improving the vocal quality, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Part II of this post is that I'd like to set this recording environment up in a more robust/better quality manner. I recently installed an Adaptec DuoConnect card for Firewire and USB 2.0 connectivity, so an interface using these types of input is possible. I did some research on the new mBox for Windows XP, but I'm seeing way too many problems and frustrations reported by the first users to attempt to use it for me to consider that a viable way to go.

I'd welcome input from you more experienced home studio engineers as to what hardware/software/microphone choices I should look into. I am prepared to spend some money on it, but I am not looking to setup a high-end pro studio (for example, I don't think I need to go the full-version ProTools route - I think that would be overkill for me and I use a professional studio for more serious recording projects).

If I need to supply more info about my environment, let me know.

Thanks to all in advance for your input!
Linda

Right forum or wrong forum, you have an answer in the Mic forum! Funny things happen on one's way through the forums...

You do realize the Audiobuddy is only a guitar/mic preamp right?

You problem probably lies with the fact you are using a SB card which has poor DAC's to begin with.

brzilian,

<You do realize the Audiobuddy is only a guitar/mic preamp right>

Uh, yes. But I've seen it recommended on this BBS for exactly what I am using it for.

<You problem probably lies with the fact you are using a SB card which has poor DAC's to begin with.>

I don't doubt you have a point here. What would you recommend?

Linda

Your setup should work fine, but I'd stay away from the soundblasters. Check out M-Audio. They make an affordable card. I think it's called the 2496.

Twist

Back