new pc laptops don't have firewire?

p.babs

Hi there,

you will have to excuse me, as i'm not the most tech savy person out there, so if I don't use the proper jargon to explain things I appologies.

I recently bought a new laptop-a toshiba. anyhoo, I was told at the point of sale that new pc laptops do not come with firewire. Which was a problem as I use a presonus firestudio (which has firewire). They said no problem, made some changes to the machine so that an exterior firewire card may be incerted.

problem is that it doesn't seem to want to record property through this process-everything comes through choppy, skipping to differnet areas where it collected the data etc. (See attached file).

I played some old recordings through my monitors (via my firestudio), and when played through my studio monitors it played a similar way-choppy and skipping. when played through my laptop speakers it sounds property. this makes me believe that it is the exterior firewire card that is not allowing the information to flow through properly.

has anyone else had a problem similar to this, and are there any solutions out there?

Attachments

• screwed.mp3
    273.7 KB · Views: 3
thanks, that worked, as well, is there such a thing as a firewire to usb converter? (of course my pc has a usb 2.0 ports).

thanks, that worked, as well, is there such a thing as a firewire to usb converter? (of course my pc has a usb 2.0 ports).

No. The drivers supplied with the interface were written to work with a firewire protocol.

What is the brand/model of your laptop and firewire card ? I'm not sure if a incompatible firewire card is your problem, but it might be.

yes the presonus worked perfectly on my old laptop, i will confirm that the internal clock is set properly when i get home tonight. thanks for the tip.

would there be any way to adjust the buffering?

All or the one they were trying to sell you? There will definitely be laptops on the market that come with firewire.

Alan.

its my understanding that only apple/mac carries firewire at this point.

pc towers come with them often, but laptops seem to need an express card.

yes the presonus worked perfectly on my old laptop, i will confirm that the internal clock is set properly when i get home tonight. thanks for the tip.

would there be any way to adjust the buffering?

The asio drivers/software that came with the Presonus should have a software interface that allows you to adjust the buffering.

My dell laptop has 4pin firewire. So does my brother's and It's split new.

If anything there are probably fewer laptops with express card slots, but i could be off on that one.

Last edited:

Apple were actually the 1st to remove them from the basic lap tops, you only get firewire on Apple if you are willing to pay more

Most towers seem to come with them, if not it's very easy to add a firewire card. What you have to do when buying a laptop is to specify you need firewire and to then select your purchase from those machines.

Consumer style computer shops piss me off when you go in and ask for something and they say, "oh nobody uses that any more" or "nobody makes that anymore" because they just don't stock it.

Alan.

Apple were actually the 1st to remove them from the basic lap tops, you only get firewire on Apple if you are willing to pay more

Hate that! I bet Apple piss themselves when guys like me pay the extra £300 just to get a firewire port!!lol

Those guys knew what they were doing!!

presonus contacted me today, the reply actually sounded like this guy knows what he is talking about (Ie: usually when i'm talking to someone about issues like this they end there answer with a 'and we will see if that helps').

anyway, he had me go to devisemanager, to teh 1394 firewire bus, and change to the 'legacy' option.

problem is i'm now on the road for a week and won't be able to see if it works till next thursday! damn it!

presonus contacted me today, the reply actually sounded like this guy knows what he is talking about (Ie: usually when i'm talking to someone about issues like this they end there answer with a 'and we will see if that helps').

anyway, he had me go to devisemanager, to teh 1394 firewire bus, and change to the 'legacy' option.

problem is i'm now on the road for a week and won't be able to see if it works till next thursday! damn it!

I had that same message sent to me for a problem I've been having. Didn't work at all. I wouldn't hold your breath. I'm pretty sure they just run some sort of script and if it doesn't work, move to the next down on the list. I'm just sending mine back for a replacement.

Back