new PC build desktop....opinions, comments, or otherwise

yorgo

So I got one priced out...because future shop and best buy are only putting out windows 8.1 and I have Pro Tools 9 which isn't compatible so I have to go with Windows 7 machine, which I prefer anyways

i5-4670 3.4ghz, 6MB cache
8GB Kingston ram
Asus mother board Z87-A.... tons of USB 2.0 and 3.0 and plenty of expansion for more RAM which I plan to get in the months ahead
2 WD 7200 rpm HD
etc....and the usual other stuff
928.00 can
I was thinking of holding off on the Nvida dedicated graphics card....another 130.00

opinions?

Looking like a decent build. Are you actually putting this together yourself?

I am not sure you need the graphics card just yet if only using one monitor. You will quickly change your mind after using a DAW with only one.

I am not familiar with ASUS mobos and not a computer tech. I only know what worked for me.

Looks like you have chosen a 4 core i5. Good.

You are also better of staying away from W8 for recording. It seems to have it's own issues...

My requirements are much more modest.
I shall have to retire this XP 3G P4 very shortly it seems but I am looking for a MOBO/CPU/ram package that can replace it. Specifically I need,

W7 capable MOBO etc that will run 64bits and at least two PCI slots. The CPU speed is really immaterial since anything that can run W7 will be fast enough for our very modest music needs.
Budget is also tight, I really need to stay under £100 because of course I still have to buy Win 7!

Dave.

Looking like a decent build. Are you actually putting this together yourself?

I am not sure you need the graphics card just yet if only using one monitor. You will quickly change your mind after using a DAW with only one.

I am not familiar with ASUS mobos and not a computer tech. I only know what worked for me.

Looks like you have chosen a 4 core i5. Good.

You are also better of staying away from W8 for recording. It seems to have it's own issues...

Hey Jimmy,
No I am not building it my self. I'm getting a reputable computer place doing it has been around for years. This going to be my baby so I need to to be running smooth and hassle free as possible lol.
I would love to have a second monitor. I am constantly going back and forth between the 2 windows but I have to bite the bullet on the card and more ram. That'll be the next treat :)
Right now I'm using my old laptop and with some help with fine people on this board (tips and tricks) I've been able to record upto 25 tracks(no vst inst) and few plugins and its chirping along.....But I'm ready for more

I can't stand win 8. Win 7 is a micorsoft perfection. It's too bad they didn't stay with it longer.

So sounds its like i'm on the right track. I wasn't sure if the dedicated graphics card was for 2 monitors or something more.
Thanks

My requirements are much more modest.
I shall have to retire this XP 3G P4 very shortly it seems but I am looking for a MOBO/CPU/ram package that can replace it. Specifically I need,

W7 capable MOBO etc that will run 64bits and at least two PCI slots. The CPU speed is really immaterial since anything that can run W7 will be fast enough for our very modest music needs.
Budget is also tight, I really need to stay under £100 because of course I still have to buy Win 7!

Dave.

Dave 100 pounds for another computer. How? I was looking on Kiiji and there were some computers that people were selling that were very affordable but I'm not sure how you are going to do it on 100 pounds?

You could get a used core2duo box for very little, I'm sure.
I have one upstairs doing very little. Just checked the mobo drivers though, and unfortunately they only go as far as vista.
It is an old board for c2d, to be fair. e6700 is the max supported chip.

Dave 100 pounds for another computer. How? I was looking on Kiiji and there were some computers that people were selling that were very affordable but I'm not sure how you are going to do it on 100 pounds?

Because I's cheap! Well really it it because I do not need anything very powerful. In fact I would keep this P4!

100 quid? Look at this just as an example..
Intel Haswell Bundle Including Asus H81M-PLUS Motherboard and a Intel Pentium G3

Something like that but with 2 or 3 PCI slots would do me I am sure.

Hey! I think I have found it!...http://www.stuff-uk.net/p-924819.aspx?gclid=CMnIuIzplL0CFZDKtAodBDcAKQ

Experts please advise.
Dave.

Ebay's usually littered with used mobo/ram/cpu bundles due to these guys who have to be at the cutting edge all the time.
Might be worth a look if you don't mind used gear.

Ebay's usually littered with used mobo/ram/cpu bundles due to these guys who have to be at the cutting edge all the time.
Might be worth a look if you don't mind used gear.

Don't mind used gear I know about and can fix. Most electronics, especially old, valved electronics but computers I know FA about and in any case would want manfctr's support which might be difficult second hand? Mind you!....If anyone here has a snortin' four core 2.4G jobbie with16G ram and four PCI slots I would make offers in the 100pound area!

Dave.

Back