New to this and need help spending £500 lol

I did totally for get about stands and leads but i think we are going to go for the Red5 7 Piece for that little bit more and as i get better at it we will buy better stuff as we go

and the US1800 is awesome for us but me being a Noob now can i record each input to it own track at the same time? or is it all recorded as one?

like if i record the Drums will the Kick, Hats, Toms and Snare all be one single track or can i set it up so i can mix and mess with each one later?

i think im selling my PC to get me a Macbook Pro some time next week as i sort of know what im doing in Logic Pro im lost when it comes to Windows =(

like if i record the Drums will the Kick, Hats, Toms and Snare all be one single track or can i set it up so i can mix and mess with each one later?

Each input will be recognised as a unique input by your software.

That means you could record from numerous mics simultaneously, and each one recording would be kept separate in your software.

i think im selling my PC to get me a Macbook Pro some time next week as i sort of know what im doing in Logic Pro im lost when it comes to Windows =(

What steen said about the US1800; each channel is seen in the DAW as an individual input.

in terms of getting Macbook Pro, i'm a fairly big mac fan and a big fan of Logic, but i wouldn't go out of my way to get one purely for the software. Your PC specs are waaaaaaaaay more than capable of recording and mixing alot of multitrack audio! if it's just getting used to software, or finding one that works for you, i'd say have a play with as many as you can and find ones that works for you. most of them do free demo's. Reaper and Presonus's Studio One are pretty similar to Logic but you just have to play around with them to get used to each individual DAW's quirks. Also, depending on where you get it, some of the Tascam's come with a copy of Cubase LE which may just work for you. Think what you could do with £900 in terms of buying mics and gear!? :)

That's cool then i can work it all out just will take time, we are getting everything the end of the month i wish we had £900 but we pay £50 a week for the lockup so every week all 4 of us put £20 in a tub so there is £30 left over every week we put up for stuff

ill have a look at that software now i have used Reaper before just cant seem to get rid of the lag :S

lol, tbf i did misread your previous comment and missed the whole "sell my PC and then buy a macbook pro....." i should read things more carefully first, sorry :facepalm:

yeah, as steen said much earlier, the lag will probably be down to the internal soundcard drivers. Wait until you get the tascam and have a proper play with some different DAW's. If you get on with Reaper, it is one of, if not the cheapest, most usable DAW's out there. I do quite like Studio One but it's a couple of hundred quid for the full whack, and the cheaper "artist" version is very limited. i think that even the Cubase LE that comes with the tascam is quite restricted, but at least it lets you get the feel for the software in general and crossgrade prices are normally cheaper than buying the full version from new.

also, like you said, with £30 a week left over in the pot you can quickly add more gear every month or so :)

Ok Sooo the US-1800 cam this morning and i just cant get it to work on Mac!

i install it how it tell me to but TASCAM US-1800 Control Panel Driver Version 2.00 says

Device: none found

and this is where im stuck =(

any help

Yeah found out it was 10.8 it dont like so i have installed 10.5.8 and its sort out working everything is set up as it should be but when i play sound from my Mac it sounds all 16bit! sounds really bad :S but im sure everything is 100% set up right i have read the manual about 5 times

really dont know where to go

i give up =(

i have had a good ready up and i can see lots of people dont like Tascam for the same reason as me

just wish it would work!

hmmm..... i had a quick look around the internets and the only things that came up were to 1) try turning the soundcard on before the laptop and 2) running the computer/software in 32 bit mode. Having a read through other threads and there does seem to be some recurring themes to running any tascam products with 64 bit OS's which i'd be very surprised in tascam hadn't sorted out. Does it work with your PC or did you sell the PC in the end?

yeah i have done both and same out come =(

i did sell my pc and i aint got nothing else to try it in, so my plan is taking it to a music show where i know they do this sort of stuff and ask them to take a look cos even when its not plugged in to the USB the headphone output makes crazy popping sounds, also when the mics are plugged in they dont seem very load. its turned all the way up as well :S

i miss the days for just plugging in and away we go lol

Ok so turns out that US-1800 was no good! something wrong with the USB port.

and seeing as Tascam dont work well with OS X 10.8

where do i go from here?

i need a USB interface with 8 XLR inputs for around £300

I saw this from a few months ago.
They may even be out by now; I don't know for sure.

Either way, don't loose heart. Plenty of people are using us1800s on 10.5/10.6/10.7. You're probably just having some teething problems.

There are better guys here to give advice. I know Jimmy's a tascam man, so hold tight.

Yeah i know man thanks for the help i really do appreciate it

i never did see that post off Tascam thank you =)
i did look on there site for driver updates but same ones that i already had so dont think they are out yet but i have been told they are sending out another US-1800 so do i hold out for it or do i just down grade to 10.7 till the drivers come.

i kinda knew it wouldn't be straightforward LOL

But thanks again

Sorry man. I think I missed a few posts when I replied.

So, to take stock you bought a new mac right, but it's on 10.5.8 now and the drivers are working?

But you think the Tascam itself is defective?
What about this AMD machine you mentioned. Can you test the tascam with it, or with any other computer for that matter?

Back