New Member with a question

noisefloor

I'm just getting started in home recording. I just received a Mackie Onyx Blackjack today that I bought from Sweetwater, and am having an issue that is most likely my fault, but not sure. The problem: getting nothing out of the headphones. I don't have monitors yet, but thought I'd just be able to use the headphones in the meantime.

I've installed the drivers on my laptop and they seem to be working. I've tried both using my sm57 and plugging the bass directly into channel 1. Both ways I'm able to increase the gain until the clipping lights blinks. So it appears to be getting an input signal. Also, I downloaded and installed Tracktion and seem to be able to record into it. I can record a track and then play it back through my computer speakers and I hear it just fine. I just get nothing through the headphones. I've adjusted the volume on the device marked 'Phones' and the only other dial I'm using is the gain for channel 1. I watched their video on connecting it to a PC, and I'm seeing exactly what they show. Also, if I set it as the default output device, I can hear the computer through the headphones! It's making me crazy because I just want to start playing... hahaha.

I sent Mackie an email, but didn't know if anyone on the forum had experience with this interface. I primarily bought it because of the reviews and the fact that it has enough boost for my mic. Any insight would be fantastic, and I really appreciate anyone who has made it this far!

Thanks!

Okay, because this is the way it always worked, I tried once more after posting and think I have it working. I played with the audio defaults in Windows a bit more, but what I think the problem was is that I had to turn up the input monitor to about 3 o'clock, which seems pretty high, but again, I'm a dork. Sorry for the firedrill, I figured it was just my lack of understanding.

Back