New macbook pro laptop

RATONA

I am looking to possibly buy a Macbook Pro. Went to the laptop store near me and asked if they are using the TI firewire or Lucent chipset that my Motu 8pre would like to see. They couldn't tell me. Not event the tech. He said he would have to take it apart and look at the chip to see what the driver is. I have understood for a long time that Macs are the way to go. I need a portable studio for editing. Do you know about the new macbook pro laptops. The are all using sandybridge something or other. I just want to be sure it has what my Motu 8 pre wants. Help!!!

Look up "System Profiler"

Since Motu integrates their stuff very tightly with Macs, you shouldn't have any problems.

Macs have almost always used TI chipsets just so that you don't have to worry about it. Part of the reason people think they're so much better for recording...

System Profiler actually doesn't say. However, you can find out by reading the kernel.log messages generated during the startup process. AFAIK, every Mac that ever had FireWire hardware uses either TI or Lucent/Agere, which are both broadly supported.

Back