New Laptop ( Macbook Air )

leonriedel

Hello everyone

I want to get a new producing Laptop and this is why I ask here if this Laptop is good enough for my needs.

Specs:

2,2 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7

8 GB 1600 MHz LPDDR3 RAM

128 SSD Memory

Intel HD Graphics

So, the graphic? I dont care about it but what I care about is if the Processor can keep up with that what I do.

I produce with Ableton, MP3 and WAV Samples and Serum.

When I do a song it comes up with minimum 50 tracks with effects on everyone!

Is the Macbook Air with the Specs written above good enough to keep all that running?

Or can you say me some other laptops which are very powerful and thin like Apple's Macbook Series?

Thank you for your time!

While we wait for Mr S to finish his wheatybangs... Something odd in the OP's specc? This rather elderly HP g6 laptop is 2.4G dual core, 4 threads Intel but only an i3!

Dave.

Hi Leon, and welcome to HR.

That model seems to bench around the same as my i5 13" 2015 MBP and it's pretty capable, particularly with SSD.

For any substantial improvement you'd want to be moving into younger i7 quad cores.

I know it's just a number, but have a look here for an idea of where apple computers rank in terms or raw processing power.
It's a useful yardstick - Probably best to look under 'multicore' scores.

What's odd about the specs, Dave?

"What's odd about the specs, Dave? " I just thought an i7 would be faster and have more cores than the i3 CPU in this 5 yr old HP?

Dave.

Ah, I see.
No, unfortunately it's never as simple as that with CPUs and nothing is a safe assumption.

There are core2duos which beat i5s, i3s which beat i7s and i7s which can't be touched.
The badge alone, or even core frequency alone, means nothing. (Check here - single core)

It's all the more complicated with the i3/5/7 badges because you have several generations per moniker.

Some people go out of their way to say that benchmarks are meaningless, but it really is important to take a glance and at least have some idea where your specific model of chip lands.

Intel has pretty thoroughly confused the market (intentionally, I am certain), particularly in the mobile CPU space. As noted, a new-ish, mobile i7 is really not comparable to what was in a MacBook Pro of a few years back. But, with all that, for audio, that system is adequate.

I'm more bothered by the 8GB RAM limit, honestly. It's adequate, but given that these systems are no longer user upgradeable, it would make me go looking at the regular MacBook or Pro line, to see what 16GB would set me back.

(I'm typing this on my 2011 MacBook Pro with an upgraded 500GB SSD and 8GB RAM, but I use my 2012 Mini, also with SSD and 16GB RAM upgrades, these days for 100% of my mixing. I still do some quick tweaks/pseudo mastering on this system, though it's primarily the "everything else" computer these days.)

Intel has pretty thoroughly confused the market (intentionally, I am certain), particularly in the mobile CPU space. As noted, a new-ish, mobile i7 is really not comparable to what was in a MacBook Pro of a few years back. But, with all that, for audio, that system is adequate.

Absolutely.
I'm sure it's so they can slap a badge on it and sell slow laptops to people.
No point buying a v8 because it's a v8. Find out the capacity and other factors too!

Back