New Laptop help!!

Just thinking, I bought my early 2012 i5 macbook pro for just less than £800 about a year and a half ago.
It's the 2.3ghz 2 core i5 but it's still a better machine than any core2duo.

If you're super dooper mac keen that might be an option.
Keep an eye on the apple refurb store. The only differences between that and retail are price and packaging. ;)

Can get the macbook pro 2.3ghz quad core Intel i7 or MSI GE40 4th Gen Core i7 8GB 750GB 128GB for same price. Budgets just went up ha, I'm wanting the right gear! I'm thinking with work a desktop really isn't an option, I can be away for too long. I really do need to be mobile.

I just had a conversation with a friend today. Kind of put it in perspective...

If you don't wish to involve yourself in setup and workings of computer setup and have money to spend, get a MAC. If you want to explore more options and have some time to work with it, build/buy a PC.

I have never had a BSOD. Lucky me. That is typically a hardware issue.

Well I will echo what the other lads have said.
You don't need a mac and they are pricey for what you get, but if it's what you're used to or what you like, go for it.
They're super machines. :)

Don't forget, people will see the apple logo and know that you're amazing/a dickhead depending on the people. ;)

You don't need a mac and they are pricey for what you get, but if it's what you're used to or what you like, go for it.

Don't forget, people will see the apple logo and know that you're amazing/a dickhead depending on the people. ;)

Well put...

I just had a conversation with a friend today. Kind of put it in perspective...

If you don't wish to involve yourself in setup and workings of computer setup and have money to spend, get a MAC. If you want to explore more options and have some time to work with it, build/buy a PC.

I have never had a BSOD. Lucky me. That is typically a hardware issue.
Cheers mate. Think I'll go for the Mac option...I'm not really interested in set ups etc at the moment. I just want the tools to enable me to get the ideas I have in my head into sound.

You don't need a mac and they are pricey for what you get, but if it's what you're used to or what you like, go for it. :)

Haha! I've never actually had any apple gear...always classed people as twats using them :D

I've just heard from some that they are pretty reliable and require less maintenance. I'm not a tech head, I just want the gear to work and let me work.

So is the macbook pro 2.3ghz quad core Intel i7 4GB ram a good enough machine for my needs? I've got it in the basket and ready to click "buy" :drunk:

Though if there is a windows laptop with as good as/better specs than the macbook and is cheaper, I'd consider that?

Think I'll need to sleep on it. Confusing myself here :D

Though if there is a windows laptop with as good as/better specs than the macbook and is cheaper, I'd consider that?

Think I'll need to sleep on it. Confusing myself here :D

Don't get frog and bunny syndrome and jump ahead of yourself. Take your time, research. :thumbs up:

No matter what you buy, I'd want more than 4gb ram in it.
It's overkill but I put 16gb in my MBP recently.

I would say, for 64bit OS/apps RAM will be your friend. CPU performance is flattening out, 7200 RMP HD or SDD is giving goos performance, so those types of issues are becoming a thing of the past. So RAM, I have to agree, get as much information preloaded as possible so fast IO (and RAM IO is as quick as you can get) is your best friend. Even if it is overkill, cause tomorrow it won't be. :eek:

Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys, appreciated!

When I said I'm a newbie I mean to the tech side. I'm can play/read/write music, and wanting to go down this route as I'm really starting to appreciate electronic music and want to write and produce my own. I've used the software before and recorded lots, but tech wise and the systems required to run it etc, I don't know anything and it's making researching hard as I don't know what to look for.

I can get my hands on a Mcbook pro quad core i7...4gig ram, but I can upgrade that later!

If it was you and had around £1000 to spend on laptop, what would you go for? Just needing a few options to make research a bit easier. It's a bloody minefield out there and I'm going round in circles :D

I'd be more than happy with that macbook.
Others will recommend MS based equivalents.

Either way you're looking at very capable machines now. Any i7 chip and adequate ram is going to be a great performer. :)

I'd be more than happy with that macbook.
Others will recommend MS based equivalents.

Either way you're looking at very capable machines now. Any i7 chip and adequate ram is going to be a great performer. :)

+1 Agreed.

google Scan.co.uk they can be your friend, I assume you are in the UK due to currency. I have used them MANY times for PC's and they are also audio suppliers so you can get some expertise over the phone. I have bought a laptop and 3 desktops through them in the last 5 years and the customer service is excellent. I am pretty sure if you speak to them about your needs they will be able to help you out, and maybe throw you a deal together.

I would also recommend you fix a budget FIRST, I am not a MAC fan but that's related to the 80's/90's but you get more bang for you buck when working with windows due to open market competition. Stack the RAM and maybe consider a SSD for your OS/DAW and then expand storage with external HHD which are easy to back up and store in a safe place :D

google Scan.co.uk they can be your friend, I assume you are in the UK due to currency. I have used them MANY times for PC's and they are also audio suppliers so you can get some expertise over the phone. I have bought a laptop and 3 desktops through them in the last 5 years and the customer service is excellent. I am pretty sure if you speak to them about your needs they will be able to help you out, and maybe throw you a deal together.

I would also recommend you fix a budget FIRST, I am not a MAC fan but that's related to the 80's/90's but you get more bang for you buck when working with windows due to open market competition. Stack the RAM and maybe consider a SSD for your OS/DAW and then expand storage with external HHD which are easy to back up and store in a safe place :D

Ach budgets are there to be broken :D Yeah I'm in the UK, cheers mate:thumbs up:

Will have a look there and get in contact with them.

Back