New laptop

andrushkiwt

Excited to use this new laptop for music. Replaced the old HP Notebook with this today:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...id-state-drive-silver/5623586.p?skuId=5623586

The major reason for the upgrade was more processing power with the i7 compared to the i3. Too much distortion and crackling when 4 amp sims, reverb, synths, and a ton of vst's were going.

Downloading and installing all DAW's, vst's, Superior Drummer, song files and projects as I type.

edit: unfortunately, it comes installed with Win 10. Not a fan, so far.

Congrats, but... getting a new computer is my private vision Hell--days, maybe weeks worth of work just to get back to the setup I was comfortable with before. I went through this when my 7 year old Vista machine gave up the ghost last May or thereabouts.

I'm not minding Win 10 too much, though it took some getting used to. You can find wrappers that recreate the classic Windows desktop and Start menu if you find you can't get along with the new Win 10 environment.

I'm plugging along so far. Have most software and plugins ready to go. Getting my song files and project files onto the new one is the pain. Tried Dropbox first, but I ran out of storage there...and I placed them into DB by dragging them...so, I'm not sure what's going to happen with the files. I'm trying not to worry, and I hope they aren't lost in cyberspace.

Then, I tried bluetooth. But I couldn't get the two computers to talk to each other long enough to send a file. That got frustrating. So then I borrowed an external hard drive from a friend. Working on that part now. It's taking awhile to get my song files onto the drive, but hopefully installing them on the new laptop will be easier.

Otherwise, I'm good to go. I still the other computer so I can check my interface settings and DAW setup there still.

I have an i3 HP laptop but I have never 'loaded' it up that heavily. I will run 20+ tracks of Cubase but the CPU run at over 50% so probably getting close to the wire!

Re file swapping. Unfortunately most HP 'Notebooks' only have 100mbs Ethernet ports, mind you a CAT 5e cable to the new PC might still be the fastest way to copy data? I guess the new i7 machine has USB 3.0 (3.1??) and that is blinding from a USB 3.0 external drive.

Dropbox. I found it a bit of a resource hog. Use it then lose it!

Dave.

I have an i3 HP laptop but I have never 'loaded' it up that heavily. I will run 20+ tracks of Cubase but the CPU run at over 50% so probably getting close to the wire!

Re file swapping. Unfortunately most HP 'Notebooks' only have 100mbs Ethernet ports, mind you a CAT 5e cable to the new PC might still be the fastest way to copy data? I guess the new i7 machine has USB 3.0 (3.1??) and that is blinding from a USB 3.0 external drive.

Dropbox. I found it a bit of a resource hog. Use it then lose it!

Dave.

Yeah I did wonder about a USB direct path. I didn't have a two ended USB cable though, so I couldn't do it. It didn't dawn on me to try that option until late last night, at which point I already had the external hard drive.

Got it all set up now. Really liking it.

My i3 Notebook would crackle and distort the audio at around 80%, but of course it was never exactly at 80%, but jumping quickly between 75-85.

I swear that the audio signal is somehow cleaner with this new computer. Is that possible? There seems to be much less interference and random crackles, like wifi distortion. Is it possible this computer talks to my interface better/cleaner?

I am going through the new computer looking right now, but I always feel that getting the new computer up and running like I want is like placing burning matches between my fingers and waiting for the pain.

Alan.

I am going through the new computer looking right now, but I always feel that getting the new computer up and running like I want is like placing burning matches between my fingers and waiting for the pain.

Alan.

You more than likely have more crap to set up than me, but I got mine done in about 14 hours of work. Glad that part's over. Good luck!

Back