new imac having cubase and lexicon omega issues :(

bandolino

Hello! I'm new here, but would be very grateful for any help, I got a new imac to replace the creaky old PC I've worked on for ages, and am trying to get it set up, I'm using a lexicon omega sound card and cubase LE5, the lexicon is working with garageband and with audacity absolutely fine, but all my projects are in cubase, so that naturally happens to be the programme that's rebelling.

when I select the lexicon as the input and output device, as soon as I create a new track and select input 1 as the source, I get the input meters immediately clipping, and staying in the red. if I try to play back an old project I get full on white noise and both input and output meters in the red.

I've tried to select the lexicon as the main sound source in the macs control panel, but it seems reluctant to change anything, every time I go back into it, it's reverted to "internal sound"

so I'm still using my old PC, with 1000 euros of imac sitting here just being used to read emails... wrong way round in an ideal world... so as I say, any ideas would be much appreciated!

Fergus / Bandolino

Hi Bandolino,
First off, is that device compatible with your version of OS X?
Assuming it is, do you have any cables or devices connected? I'd disconnect them for now to rule out the possibility of a feedback loop.

You might also find that you have to manually set the bit depth and sample rate for the lexicon in Audio/Midi Setup, to match your sessions.
That'd be worth a look.

Hope that's useful.

Hi and Thanks for replying Steenamaroo,

Unfortunately it does the same whether or not there are instruments or mics connected :( the imac is brand new with the latest OS on it and the hardware says Os X v 10.4 so it should definitely be compatible?

it works perfectly with garageband and audacity, just not with cubase .... I've reinstalled cubase just incase it was a wonky installation, and the lexicon says it works with coreaudio, so no drivers to update or install...

a frustrating mystery....

Bandolino

Hi and Thanks for replying Steenamaroo,

Unfortunately it does the same whether or not there are instruments or mics connected :( the imac is brand new with the latest OS on it and the hardware says Os X v 10.4 so it should definitely be compatible?

it works perfectly with garageband and audacity, just not with cubase .... I've reinstalled cubase just incase it was a wonky installation, and the lexicon says it works with coreaudio, so no drivers to update or install...

a frustrating mystery....

Bandolino

Hi again,
No problem. Glad to help if I can.
The most recent OS X is 10.10.1. 10.4 (tiger) is quite old so there's a decent chance that it's just not compatible.

I'm a bit busy just now, but I could take a look shortly for you, if that's any use.
Either that or have a google in the mean time for 'lexicon omega yosemite' and see what other people are finding.

Thanks again, The spec says 10.4 or later, though I did wonder how much later it means by "later"

googling is coming up with very few helpful results unfortunately, seems my problem is possibly unique ....

on the lexicon site there are only windows drivers, but it definitely states mac compatible on all the specs...

I've tried the audio midi setup utility, but it acts very strange indeed, sometimes it lets me select the lexicon for either output, or input, but never both at the same time, and sometimes neither, it seems random... hmmmmf

Try downloading Reaper and see if it plays nice.

If the interface is going ok with Audacity and Garageband, it suggest that the installation of Cubase has gone strange somehow.

Try downloading Reaper and see if it plays nice.

If the interface is going ok with Audacity and Garageband, it suggest that the installation of Cubase has gone strange somehow.

Hi thanks again for the ideas,

Reaper gets input, but plays everything back as white noise, though the meters aren't showing that the input or output is clipping... even more confusing now, and audacity has STOPPED working, it will not play or record... tearing hair out!!!

Bandolino

Hello! I'm new here, but would be very grateful for any help, I got a new imac to replace the creaky old PC I've worked on for ages, and am trying to get it set up, I'm using a lexicon omega sound card and cubase LE5, the lexicon is working with garageband and with audacity absolutely fine, but all my projects are in cubase, so that naturally happens to be the programme that's rebelling.

I can't find anything to suggest that LE5 is compatible with yosemite.
Apparently 7.0.80 is the earliest compatible version.

Was your reaper version yosemite compatible?

I still think it's dumb luck that the interface works at all.
There's no specific mention of it being compatible with modern operating systems.
Sure it says "10.4 or later" but a lot has changed in 10 years. OS X is full 64 bit now, for example.

The fact that they released 10.9 update drivers for some of their other interfaces backs up that idea.
My advice is to buy or try an interface that specifically claims 10.10 compatibility (motu/presonus/some tascam), and to upgrade to cubase le7 or jump to reaper (which has a 10.10 installer).

tl/dr
Your interface probably isn't fully compatible with 10.10 and your recording software definitely isn't.

I'm having a hard time believing any of this. :eek:

Macs never have issues.

:D ;)

His mac has issues with incompatible software and hardware, huh?
What a waste of money. :facepalm:

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I have a lexicon omega. It's in the drawer of my studio. I started having a lot of problems that I was blaming on my computer (pc not imac). It was kicking off drivers and sometimes just wouldn't work. I finally, after stressing out a few times, got a presonus audio interface and it works flawlessly. Omega interfaces make great sounding recordings when they are working properly but, when they start screwing up they cause much grief.
For less than $300 you can have a MUCH better interface. I know money is tight these days but there is no way I would wrestle with a lexicon omega again if at all possible.
Upgrade....you'll wonder why you ever waited.

Back