New Disk Configuration

dbrook2010

Hi,

Setting up a new PC, thinking about what the best configuration and types are for the disk drives?

I have put my idea into logical groups below, but I can only put 6 drives into the PC max.

• Operating System Drive - Pro 850 500GB SSD
  • Program Drive
  • Sample Drive 1
  • Sample Drive 2
  • VST (Instruments) Drive
  • VST (Effects) Drive
  • Projects Drive
  • Windows Paging File Drive

So first off, should I keep the o/s separate from the programs drive?

I'm looking here to find the best physical configuration that I can fit those groups in - without using a logical partition.

My thinking on the two sample drives is, if a project is using a lot of samples via different VST instruments, would it not be better to spread the disk load, and therefore avoid any potential bottleneck?

I prefer to have my projects on a separate drive. That way, audio data that is local to the project folder is read from one disk, and any samples from a library from another disk, again avoiding any bottlenecks.

With the paging file, Windows (v7 64-bit pro) and certain applications will make use of the paging file, even if you have lots of RAM installed. I have 32GB installed. I would prefer to keep this on a separate disk, and am considering a modest size SSD just for the paging file. I'd still keep a small paging file on the system drive for any potential crash dumps etc .Any thoughts on this?

I have put the VST Effects in a group on its own above. But I am thinking that these could go with the Programs or o/s drive, as, if I am not mistaken, most VST effect plug-in are simply loaded into RAM, so there would be no extra disk workload for them on playback or mix-down/export ?

I am wondering about going SSD for all the drives. Any thoughts on this?

I was also thinking, would I be creating any other bottlenecks by separating things onto so many different disks? That is, for example, would it be faster reading and getting audio data from 2 separate SSDs than 1 SSD?

So those are my thoughts. I'd welcome any suggestions, help or advice on this. Thanks.

I've partitioned my SSD into two. one for OS and Programs (to include VSTs) the other for my project space. The second HD is a typical magnetic disk drive I use for mass storage. I back up the OS/programs disk maybe once in a great while (if I install something, which doesn't happen that often). then keep my project partition backed up weekly. Mass storage only as project data gets moved from SSD to HD. Backups go to a network storage device.

This schema means only one drive (D) is an active backup. The all backups are replacement backups (I don't do the incremental). If I were a business, then the D drive (active project drive) I would do incremental daily.

I get good speed and performance and I don't eat up a lot of SSD space. 480 GB SSD works perfect for C/D drive.

Back