A new direction

fuzzsniffvoyage

So I thinking of going with the SSL Nucleus 2 and going with an electronic drum set and ditching acoustic drums and also ditching the amp and getting a Kemper. So the only instruments I would actually record is voice and acoustic guitar.

That's basically what I started doing many years ago.

If you can afford it, get an electronic kit with all mesh heads. Although the standard rubberized heads are okay, I find the mesh are much more nuanced (sensitive) and realistic.

Fwiw, I don't current own any drum kit and went completely virtual with programming them by hand using a midi controller/keyboard or the piano roll in my DAW. But I kinda wish I had a kit for certain styles. I just can't justify the cost of a kit.

I suggest you hold on to the acoustic drums and amp(s) at least for a few months so you are sure of your direction change.
For some people doing it all "ITB" so to speak, works well, and they really like it...but I also know guys who have turned around and decided to come back out of the box more, some even rebuilding their console/rack setups because the "all ITB" thing just got old on them.

I kinda went through something similar year back...got all excited about MIDI and sequencers and recording digitally...then it lost its appeal after awhile, and eventually I went more in the opposite direction, and expanded on the OTB side.
Now days, I'm kinda in the middle...I have my full OTB rig...plus a full ITB rig, and I worked them both.

With the drums, I've gotten more and more into the sampled/digital stuff...but I still kept the studio acoustic kit, though I downsized it from the bit 12-piece to a more basic 5-piece kit. I then broke down the excess drums and stacked them in a corner...still not ready to get ride of them.

I'm wanting to keep the amps and acoustic kit for jamming. It's just so difficult to get a good recording with them, especially the drums.

I find with the MIDI drums the cymbals are harder to really get creative with. I just bought a small kit, Hi Hat, Snare and Cajon Kick, which can be replaced with MIDI drums (even convert the sound wave to MIDI). But thinking the two together should give me pretty good creative control and good sound from the MIDI.

Not sure what DAW you have, but some will convert sound to MIDI. Not perfect, but ...

I think if I stay in business for a few more years (I am 60 now :facepalm: how did that happen so quick, and want to do some serious world travel soon) I would love to get a SSL Nucleus 2. I saw the SSL Nucleus 1 at a show demonstration when it came out and loved it, but I still also love my analog console and still mix a lot of stuff in the analog world, I was also worried by the lack of pres on the SSL Nucleus as I often record up to 16 tracks at once when doing a live tracking session with a band.

However as I am slowly moving to more DAW mixing and collecting external pre's it is becoming a more feasible to switch. The buying of a SSL Nucleus 2 would also free up a lot of room in the control room. I think the SSL Nucleus 2 move is a smart move, a quality product.

I still love acoustic drums, I think that it is because each drum kit and drummer have a different sound, using electric kits and samples kind of make it all sound the same. I would keep the acoustic kit. A good compromise may be to record sound of the acoustic kit along with the electric kit? Maybe throw in the acoustic cymbals and snare with the electric kit?

Alan.

I find with the MIDI drums the cymbals are harder to really get creative with. I just bought a small kit, Hi Hat, Snare and Cajon Kick, which can be replaced with MIDI drums (even convert the sound wave to MIDI). But thinking the two together should give me pretty good creative control and good sound from the MIDI.

Not sure what DAW you have, but some will convert sound to MIDI. Not perfect, but ...

I use Sonar and Melodyne will convert music to midi. I haven't actually used it. I'm actually in the process of figuring out how to do it. I have a bass gtr line I want to double with a synth bass.

I think if I stay in business for a few more years (I am 60 now :facepalm: how did that happen so quick, and want to do some serious world travel soon) I would love to get a SSL Nucleus 2. I saw the SSL Nucleus 1 at a show demonstration when it came out and loved it, but I still also love my analog console and still mix a lot of stuff in the analog world, I was also worried by the lack of pres on the SSL Nucleus as I often record up to 16 tracks at once when doing a live tracking session with a band.

However as I am slowly moving to more DAW mixing and collecting external pre's it is becoming a more feasible to switch. The buying of a SSL Nucleus 2 would also free up a lot of room in the control room. I think the SSL Nucleus 2 move is a smart move, a quality product.

I still love acoustic drums, I think that it is because each drum kit and drummer have a different sound, using electric kits and samples kind of make it all sound the same. I would keep the acoustic kit. A good compromise may be to record sound of the acoustic kit along with the electric kit? Maybe throw in the acoustic cymbals and snare with the electric kit?

Alan.

If understand Dante, you can add Dante pre's into the setup very easy.

I use Sonar and Melodyne will convert music to midi. I haven't actually used it. I'm actually in the process of figuring out how to do it. I have a bass gtr line I want to double with a synth bass.

drag the recording onto a vst`s midi track,wait a min till it finishes .. press play and look for odd notes ..

it also does tempo mapping,drag the wanted recording onto the timeline at the top,open up tempo view and check the markers (it doesn't always get it right)

do both of these from the main view (big window on the right)

Back