new DAW w/ SSD question

Singtall

i'm currently building a DAW with a normal HD and a SSD. my question is this:

would it be better for my operating system to be on the SSD for faster boot?

or should i use the SSD for my projects only, so they will run easier with higher track count and less loading time?

I use an SSD for my OS/programs a second SSD for my working audio sessions and a regular 7200RPM drive for my storage and finished projects.

With the SSD prices right now that's not bad at all. You can get 2 crucial drives (120 & 240) for around $330. Use the 240 for OS/software/etc and the 120 for current sessions.

Otherwise i would use the SSD for OS/Programs/Current sessions and use the secondary drive for storage/archive/completed sessions

Otherwise i would use the SSD for OS/Programs/Current sessions and use the secondary drive for storage/archive/completed sessions

This is exactly what I do. ^^
If I didn't, I'd still put the SSD in as the system disk. You'll see more of an all-round benefit that way.

i have a crucial 128 gig SSD. i should easily be able to load windows 8.1, my software and the current project. i have two other normal drives for archiving. thanks for the info guys.

i'm currently building a DAW with a normal HD and a SSD. my question is this:

would it be better for my operating system to be on the SSD for faster boot?

or should i use the SSD for my projects only, so they will run easier with higher track count and less loading time?
Yes...and yes!

If it's not too late, might I suggest a 2nd SSD for your libraries?

I have an SSD for my main things - OS, DAWs & programs, and 2 other SSDs for streaming my libraries from.

For instance my Kontakt Libraries, some of which can take a while to load.

It's definitely a faster load process.

Something to think about before finishing your build.

Kudos to that jamusic. That is what I was suggesting. And exactly what I do. Personally, I don't want to wait for anything. I run a 120GB SSD for the library's and a 250GB SSD for the OS and other things. Plus..a 950GB "spinner" for storage, and archiving. Then an external 3TB for back-ups!:eek:

Back