New computer based recording studio

Kevin Wight

I am in the proccess of building a small progect studio and need some advice on gear. I have a 700 Mg w/ 256 ram 40gig HD. and need to know what is the most cost effective multi track recording avalable, for the computer I have. I have read about vegas pro soft ware and like it so far, but no I/O's or any other gear. What do I need to get started? Thanks

It sounds like you need a multitracking sound card. Check out this page for info on these types of cards: http://www.bway.net/~rongon/home_rec/soundcard.html One thing to think about with these sound cards are the inputs. Do you want mono or stereo tracks? Some (maybe most, i'm not sure) sound cards have mono inputs, so if you get a sound card with four inputs, you are really getting a card that can record just two stereo tracks (at the same time.) But if you dont need stereo tracks then being able to record four mono tracks might be good for you. It just depends on what you want to do with it. All I can really say is, reasearch some different cards, compare them, choose what suits you the best.

Back