New/clean install of Win7 on new DAW

The shop building my DAW charges $60 to install Windows with the build (Win7 Home Premium, 2 hard drives.) I see zillions of videos, Microsoft Instructions, etc.. I'm not techie, but surely your average dolt can install Windows 7 without mucking it up, eh?

Yeah you're right. The average idiot probably can.
The $60 may well be for the license and disc though. Is that the case here?

Yeah, there are situations when I would have a tech do stuff for me. Installing Windows is not one of them.

As far as I know, C: will be the default as to where Windows will install. The other drives have nothing to do with that install. Unless you are going with a RAID setup you should be fine just going with the basic install. The other drives will just be 'other drives'. But don't take my word for it. It has been a few years since I built my PC.

I will shut up now as I wish to not steer you in the wrong direction. I bet a PC guru will be here by tomorrow afternoon to give better details.

:)

If its a straight forward install, I don't see why someone who can follow directions would have an issue. If there are complicating factors, such as RAID configs, unfamiliar with disk partitioning, etc, you may save a lot of hair pulling by paying the $60.00. If you are not successful, your technically no worse off then when you started.

If its a straight forward install, I don't see why someone who can follow directions would have an issue. If there are complicating factors, such as RAID configs, unfamiliar with disk partitioning, etc, you may save a lot of hair pulling by paying the $60.00. If you are not successful, your technically no worse off then when you started.

Good points.

Hardest part will be telling Windows where to install and it needs to format and partition. Choose the HD you want to install it on, Windows will partition, format (you use to have to do it before install, but I think it does all of this on one shot now) and then install.

I suggest you have your hardware disk(s) ready to get the best performance for videocard, motherboard, etc. But that will come after Windows. Since this is new, try it yourself. Worse thing that can happen is, a tech guy would have to install it again. (format and reinstall) So it shouldn't be a huge problem if you run into trouble.

I go safe and remove all drives except the target.
That way you're definitely not formatting the wrong drive or something.
Once the install is done, shutdown, fit your secondary/tertiary drives, and boot up again.

It's not necessary, but it's safer if you have data on your other drives.

Most people have a buddy who is a computer geek that lives to do this kind of stuff...for free.

If you think you probably know one too. The price you pay is them giving you an in depth tutorial of every single minute aspect of windows 7.
Lol

I went through this recently with my studio PC build. I had some complications (turned out to be a bad SATA cable connecting my C: drive) but once I sorted that out it was just a matter of following on-screen instructions.

Put in the Windows DVD, turn on the computer, and if your BIOS boot settings are correct it'll boot from the DVD and give you prompts from there.

It'll be handy to have a 2nd computer, or a smart phone, or a tablet handy with internet access so you can do some Googling if you encounter anything that you're unsure about.

One issue I had several months ago while recovering after a HDD failure was trying to install on a drive that wasn't set up properly to be a boot drive. It took some fdisk fiddling to get it set up right, again Google is your friend if any such issues arise.

Having to install windows more times than I want to remember, it is a piece of cake.

Setting it up to be how you want it takes a bit longer, but even with the shop install you will have to do this. The $60 is the time they waste clicking keys and typing in serial numbers along the way.

Alan.

I am not a techie in the least and i just installed windows 7 on my new computer all bymyself two nights ago. It works fine and it was really simple.

I am CERTAINLY no computer guru! but I have installed both XP and W7 at least 1/2 doz times each and yes, had a few issues but mostly in the first few goes with XP. Now if I had to do it I would only be hissed off by the time it takes to put everything back, search for passwords, battle with MAGIX,Steinberg etc!

I disagree that it is "handy" to have a second internet device around...IT IS BLOODY VITAL! Don't attempt this without secondary internet support. A couple of clean, 4/8G USB sticks are very useful as well.

But yes, DIY, you will learn more that way but first job? Make a copy of that OEM Windows disc!

Dave.

Back