Need your help here.

Firefab

Hey,

I'm searching an audio interface with more input than my eleven rack. I don't record band, it's one by one so I guess 4 input is enough?(don't want to record drum).

I find the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and Saffire Pro 26 interesting. They look pretty much the same except one is firewire and the other is USB. The firewire one (pro 26) is a little bit cheaper.

My computer doesn't have firewire port so I need to buy a card, it's like 20-30$. Is there a big difference with USB & firewire? My eleven rack is USB and I've never felt latency issue when recording. There's a lot of firewire card is a cheap one will fuck the whole thing?

So, wich one should I take? Other idea that might be cool for me? What is the big difference between focusrite and a more expensive one(Apollo duo/ apogee duet)

Thanks!

Firewire speeds are incredibly fast. However, USB interfaces have changed a lot in the last few years. I used to have a Tascam US-1800 with 8 inputs and a USB interface and never had a problem, even with all 8 inputs streaming to the computer. It worked fine and could handle that amount of streaming data across the USB buss.

With firewire, you have to purchase the correct board; usually one with TI chipsets. From my own experience, it is hit or miss whether the board will work with your computer, or interface. For me, there was a lot of frustration with the firewire interface to get it to work properly.

If you're only recording one instrument at a time, probably the most you will need is two channels. Yeah, you'll have to swap cables around, but maybe that's not a big hurdle. With 2 channels, you have a lot of options.

My vote is a USB interface and save yourself some headaches.

Back