Need a specialized cable ... ?

incursio

Anyone know where I can find a cable that can convert 2 standard RCA plugs into USB? I've been searching for weeks and have had no luck - does such a thing even exist?

Cheers.
Scott

These two are not compatible.

Like trying to get PVC water pipe to carry household AC current.

USB is a digital signal. The connectors are proprietary and are rectangular in shape. Even if you spliced the wire from a standard USB cable onto an RCA end, what would you plug that jack into?
Standard RCA plugs are used as terminators on cables that carry an unbalanced line level analog audio signal.

Your confusion may come from the fact that S/PDIF signals (also digital, but not the same format as USB) are sometimes sent over a coax line that uses terminators identical to RCA plugs. But here's the difference: Analog audio signals require two RCA plugs to carry the left and right channels. S/PDIF digital lines carry a stereo signal interlaced into one signal so it needs only one RCA terminated cable per stereo pair.

drstawl said:
These two are not compatible.

Like trying to get PVC water pipe to carry household AC current.

USB is a digital signal. The connectors are proprietary and are rectangular in shape. Even if you spliced the wire from a standard USB cable onto an RCA end, what would you plug that jack into?
Standard RCA plugs are used as terminators on cables that carry an unbalanced line level analog audio signal.

I see - any chance of some form of converter box?

Cheers.
Scott

There are some external audio interfaces that connect to computers via USB. M-Audio Quattro is a new one, there's also ones by Aardvark, Tascam, Echo... most of them take 1/4" connections but you can adapt RCA to that...

Back