Need some opinions on this PC I'm looking to build

Aubi

Below is my parts list that I put together over the past few days for a music production workstation that i want to use for running a lot of plugins and using a lot of samples.
What I'm looking to do is to

-Run upwards of at least 80 moderately to very CPU intensive plugins at a time by the end of a project
-Reduce latency to a minimum when doing live recordings
-Have a firewire input for an external sound card / audio interface
-Keep the whole setup as quiet as possible

-In the future, edit some quality videos from a GoPro, but that's the least important right now

I've never built a computer so I'd like to hear some opinions about what I've put together and how efficient it is, whether or not there are any problems with the compatibility of the parts, or if there are any changes that you would make.

[PCPartPicker part list](Intel Core i7-4790K, XFX Radeon HD 6670, Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) - System Build - PCPartPicker) / [Price breakdown by merchant](Intel Core i7-4790K, XFX Radeon HD 6670, Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) - System Build - Price Breakdown By Merchant - PCPartPicker)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor](Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (BX80646I74790K) - PCPartPicker) | $318.87 @ OutletPC
**CPU Cooler** | [Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler](Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (NH-D14) - PCPartPicker) | $69.99 @ Newegg
**Motherboard** | [Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (GA-Z97X-SLI) - PCPartPicker) | $116.88 @ OutletPC
**Memory** | [Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory](Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (CMY16GX3M2A1600C9) - PCPartPicker) | $169.99 @ Amazon
**Storage** | [Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (MZ-7KE256BW) - PCPartPicker) | $164.99 @ Amazon
**Storage** | [Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (WD10EZEX) - PCPartPicker) | $51.85 @ OutletPC
**Video Card** | [XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card](XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card (HD-667X-ZHF3) - PCPartPicker) | $67.99 @ SuperBiiz
**Case** | [Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case](Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (FD-CA-DEF-R4-BL-W) - PCPartPicker) | $93.99 @ SuperBiiz
**Power Supply** | [EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply](EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (220-G2-0750-XR) - PCPartPicker) | $94.99 @ NCIX US
**Optical Drive** | [Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer](Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer (DRW-24F1ST) - PCPartPicker) | $14.98 @ OutletPC
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)](Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (FQC-04649) - PCPartPicker) | $140.75 @ OutletPC
**Monitor** | [Asus VS278Q-P 27.0" Monitor](Asus VS278Q-P 27.0" Monitor (VS278Q-P) - PCPartPicker) | $219.99 @ Newegg
**Wireless Network Adapter** | [Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter](Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (RNX-N250PCe) - PCPartPicker) | $18.98 @ OutletPC
**Keyboard** | [Logitech K750 Wireless Slim Keyboard](Logitech K750 Wireless Slim Keyboard (920-002912) - PCPartPicker) | $44.99 @ Amazon
| | **Total**
| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $1589.23
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-24 19:03 EST-0500 |

Looks good though some of the pricing seems high.

I saw only mention of a audio interface. You know you need one right?

I looked through a lot of different options, and figured that these parts were the best as far as pricing, performance, and compatibility. But keep in mind I don't know much about building computers other than a few days of research.

And yeah, in the near future I'm looking to get a Universal Audio Apollo Duo. Right now i just have an Audiobox that I'm using.

And yeah, in the near future I'm looking to get a Universal Audio Apollo Duo.

Good choice!! Be sure to read up on the Firewire requirements. Can't use any old firewire card. It has to be on their list.

Welcome to the site.

Really solid build. I appreciate that you didn't go with some $40-60 cheapo MB. A lot do. Nice choice there, btw.
You might consider more storage. My song folders run about 2GB +/- depending on length. You might be kind of limiting yourself with a single TB (well under 500 songs with other stuff cluttering). My bet is you'll have to start farming (external drives) sooner than you think.
Also consider the NZXT H440 case with some Noctua SS series PVM fans (more fan options w/more low speed fans = less noise in your studio.
I don't think you need that big a power supply CHECK HERE.
And you probably don't need the functionality of 7 Pro for home studio. Home Premium has everything we need for $45 less.

My next build is a 6-core (more VST & VSTi's) Haswell 5820 in a completely fan-less environment. (only drive noises). Should be a fun build.

Happy Recording! :D

**Video Card** | [XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card](XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card (HD-667X-ZHF3) - PCPartPicker) | $67.99 @ SuperBiiz
**Case** | [Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case](Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (FD-CA-DEF-R4-BL-W) - PCPartPicker) | $93.99 @ SuperBiiz
**Power Supply** | [EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply](EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (220-G2-0750-XR) - PCPartPicker) | $94.99 @ NCIX US
**Monitor** | [Asus VS278Q-P 27.0" Monitor](Asus VS278Q-P 27.0" Monitor (VS278Q-P) - PCPartPicker) | $219.99 @ Newegg
**Keyboard** | [Logitech K750 Wireless Slim Keyboard](Logitech K750 Wireless Slim Keyboard (920-002912) - PCPartPicker) | $44.99 @ Amazon

Couple things to consider...

You don't really need anything special for video. Just make sure it can display the resolution you need for the monitor and has the correct output(s). Should be able to get away wit ha $30 card.

A case with good air flow... at least one decent exhaust fan (large in size, say 120mm lowRPM/quiet), maybe a low rpm intake fan in the front. That's all you need. I don't even have an intake fan, no case temp issues. Remember the power supply will also be pulling hot air from the case for you.

Power supply can be any brand name 600W or higher with 80+ certification. These things are on sale all the time on Newegg.com for $50-60. Corsair, EVGA, PC Power and Cooling are a few decent brands. Plenty of options.

If you're not going to be sitting far from the screen, or can move the screen up closer to you (this is what I do), a 23-24" LED would be fine. 27" only if it must be positioned back on the desk. $150 for a decent 24" LED. Doesn't have to be top of the line either unless it's serving dual duty watching movies.

Keyboards and mice can be really cheap or really expensive depending on your needs. I use a cheap USB keyboard and cheap USB mouse. I can't tell the difference from my 5 times more expensive bluetooth keyboard/mouse at work, plus I don't have to worry about batteries or reception. IMO $45 for a keyboard is a lot of money.

I assume the graphics card is for the video editing you'll do in the future, yes? I definitely wouldn't go higher than that; you don't need it.

Also, 750w is overkill for that system. Even 600w is overkill. For that video card, a Corsair 430w PSU will do just fine. I have a GTX 660 and I use that.

I assume the graphics card is for the video editing you'll do in the future, yes? I definitely wouldn't go higher than that; you don't need it.

Also, 750w is overkill for that system. Even 600w is overkill. For that video card, a Corsair 430w PSU will do just fine. I have a GTX 660 and I use that.

My thoughts as well.

Just need to be sure the core components (cpu, memory, chipset) don't require more than the 430W rails will put out. 600W, because of current pricing/performance ratios, is a 'safe' bet.

Just need to be sure the core components (cpu, memory, chipset) don't require more than the 430W rails will put out. 600W, because of current pricing/performance ratios, is a 'safe' bet.

And leaves room for a nicer graphics card, if that's what you decide you want. :D
The link I provided above is to a PSU calculator where you can put exact components in and get the proper PS size. Take that number and multiply by 1.25-1.35 to give yourself room for memory expansion or more drives later....

I wouldn't even put a gfx card in the machine. Its just another cooling fan to make noise. If you're not gaming, I'd just look for a passively cooled gfx card if anything. The i7 does a good job with integrated gfx, and most mobos have multiple video outputs to support multiple monitors without bothering with a GPU.

For monitors, check out Acer on Amazon. $130 for a 24" 1080 monitor. I grabbed 2 of them for my audio machine. Great deal and they get the job done.

I wouldn't even put a gfx card in the machine. Its just another cooling fan to make noise. If you're not gaming, I'd just look for a passively cooled gfx card if anything.

Well hang on. He said he'd do video editing in the future, and the card will certainly help. Though I don't know why he's getting a gaming card. I recommend he really get a Quadro.

Whether or not a particular video card will aid in "video editting" depends on the program being used to make the videos and the capabilities of the video card itself. Doing 30fps in Windows Movie Maker can be handled fine by any onboard video chipset.

Doing 30fps in Windows Movie Maker can be handled fine by any onboard video chipset.

...until you start adding in effects like color correction, then you'll need some horsepower. And 30fps with 640x480 video is not the same as 30fps with 1980x1080. If you want to do anything even halfway serious with video, you'll need a decent video card. Render times alone make it worth the investment.

...until you start adding in effects like color correction, then you'll need some horsepower. And 30fps with 640x480 video is not the same as 30fps with 1980x1080. If you want to do anything even halfway serious with video, you'll need a decent video card. Render times alone make it worth the investment.

Exactly. Windows Movie Maker? How about Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, or Media Composer? Windows Movie Maker for video editing is like Audacity for DAWs. I could tell you to buy a cheap CPU for Audacity, but I wouldn't do so for Pro Tools 11 or Cubase 8.

Exactly. Windows Movie Maker? How about Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, or Media Composer? Windows Movie Maker for video editing is like Audacity for DAWs. I could tell you to buy a cheap CPU for Audacity, but I wouldn't do so for Pro Tools 11 or Cubase 8.

True that. But earlier you recommended he put a Quadro in a $1600 build. We're talking minimum $400 graphics card (unless you mean the junk $175 "Quadro" Quadros) and that seems overkill. A decent Quadro runs a grand and that's not the machine he's building. I run a 650 Ti in my current build and it handles Sony Vegas on two monitors quite nicely with anything I can throw at it. Don't know about the programs you listed, but I also run Reason which is a lot nicer on your CPU than PT or Cube. :)

Um, No? Rendering by WMM in particular is done entirely by the CPU. On M$'s own website the only requirement is Directx9 compatibility. It has no video card optimization. That's my entire point, you need the proper program AND video card intended for such things. [gaming is another story] In other words - anything we're likely to buy for home use will not assist in the video editing process.

As someone indicated, perhaps the more expensive Quadro cards will have some means of assisting with rendering because their drivers will be optimized and the program used will know how to utilize that optimization.

That's my entire point, you need the proper program AND video card intended for such things.

Yep, gotta include the right program. WMM doesn't cut it for anything other than "soccer mom" videos. All versions of Sony Vegas will take advantage of the Cuda cores in a video card. At $40 for the cheapest version, it's a beautiful thing.

I believe more and more musicians are expressing themselves through video and thought should be given to how to produce it. I wish I had more time to make more videos for my songs.

True that. But earlier you recommended he put a Quadro in a $1600 build. We're talking minimum $400 graphics card (unless you mean the junk $175 "Quadro" Quadros) and that seems overkill. A decent Quadro runs a grand and that's not the machine he's building. I run a 650 Ti in my current build and it handles Sony Vegas on two monitors quite nicely with anything I can throw at it. Don't know about the programs you listed, but I also run Reason which is a lot nicer on your CPU than PT or Cube. :)

Nah, the Quadro 2000 outperforms the HD 6670 and you can get it really cheap used. Also, I own Reason 5, and I have a Q2Q6600. Reason still hits the system pretty hard when I run enough plugins. It's MUCH more intensive than Audacity...

Back