Need some info on soundcards, etc...

Mip

I've been looking into computer-recording, and was wondering if there are any multi-tracking soundcards that have more than 8 inputs. If not, can you install two 8 input cards, and the software can recognise that as 16 tracks?
I've seen some posts on soundcards, and cards with 8 outputs seem popular. Why is this? Is it for headphones, so you can avoid a headphone amp?
What are some good brand, reasonably cheap multi-tracking soundcards?
Also, i've been thinking about getting an electric kit for my setup, so I can free up tracks, not use alot of mics, and eliminate most soundproofing. Does anybody have opinions on electric kits, especially in comparison to accoustic kits?
And finally, is computer recording the right way to go? I am mainly aiming to record heavy music, along the lines of industrial metal.

Anyway, thanks in advance to anybody who replies.

there are , but there more of a purpose built DAW... not like the soundcards a lot of people use ..also they cost a shitload .. I personally only have 8ins and 4 outs , but i presume that the reason eight outs is popular cos im sure it would come in handy if u wanted to mixdown through an external mixer ... i spose thats what i would do with all those outs , i have a headphone amp already , but thats not a bad idea about using them for headphones .. im not sure if they take something like headphones ..
And about having two , i dont know of any except maybe the digi 001 , that might ... does anyone know about this ??
anyway hope it helped ..
spider

MOTU makes systems with more tham 8 ins and outs (1296 has 12 analog ins and outs, the 24i has 24 inputs). The multiple outputs could used for lots of things. I use mine as aux sends so I can utilize outboard analog toys as well as the computer stuff. Once you do some computer based editing you'll be addicted. It's sort of like heroin, first time you try it, it'll make you throw up but after that, yer hooked.

Back