Need A New Audio Interface

lowercase

So I have two KRK Rokit 5's that I love but I need some more "umf" to be heard in the low ends so I'm going to get two 8's to add to it since I'm really satisfied with KRK.

Problem is my M Audio Fast Track interface is only good for two monitors. I need at least 4 total (two rokit 8s' and two 5s total).

I don't know much about interfaces, can anyone suggest a decent one that can support 4 or more XLR inputs? I'm trying to keep it under $500.

Thanks!

Is your problem the need for extra XLR inputs (microphones) or just the extra monitor outs. If the latter, most hifi shops will sell you a speaker switching unit that would do the job for you.

Yeah you could just get a 2 way Speaker Controller for around $10

I use a 4 way here with different sets of speakers to test my mixes.

Yeah you could just get a 2 way Speaker Controller for around $10

I use a 4 way here with different sets of speakers to test my mixes.

I already have a 2 way speaker, i need a 4 way as mentioned In the first post.

Is your problem the need for extra XLR inputs (microphones) or just the extra monitor outs. If the latter, most hifi shops will sell you a speaker switching unit that would do the job for you.

I only need 4 monitor outs, I don't do any microphone recording. I don't really need speaker switching as I'd like to use all 4 at once.

If you're otherwise happy with your interface, what about using something like this: -

or: -

I'm going to look into the Big Knob, thanks for the suggestion!

I already have a 2 way speaker, i need a 4 way as mentioned In the first post.

A 2 way switch lets you switch between 2 sets of speakers. (4 speakers) and if like mine, all 4 at once if that's what you really want.

I'm going to look into the Big Knob, thanks for the suggestion!

You going to look into something for $299 when something that would probably cost $10/15 will do the job? You could have wires made to split the signal cheap as well if you really want all 4 speakers on at once.

I'll let someone else say 'sell the 5's and just use the 8's.'

Last edited:
Is that a good idea? It sounds like a bad one to me.

Well I don't with my set up. I have some old hifi speakers as well as my main monitors so I can flip between them to see what the mix sounds like on different set ups. I wouldn't put them all on at the same time though. That would just sound like MUD!

Last edited:
I only need 4 monitor outs, I don't do any microphone recording. I don't really need speaker switching as I'd like to use all 4 at once.

Since monitoring is done in stereo, on most switching units "2 way" implies 4 speakers, i.e. two sets of stereo speakers.

The model of speaker switching I used certainly allowed having both pair on at once but, as others have said, this would NOT be a recommended technique for monitoring. Using two different types of speaker not designed to work together will result in a muddy, inaccurate sound. I certainly wouldn't trust any mix done this way. Switch back and forth, yes...run both pairs at once, no way.

The Mackie big knob would certainly do it for you--only saying you might get something that does what you want cheaper at the local hifi shop. (And, before you ask, yeah, you'll probably need cables to adapt from XLR to whatever the switcher unit wants. This shouldn't be a problem.)

Back