Need Networking Help for DAW

etnoziroh

I've finally put together a DAW with some spare parts I've been collecting and it's working fine.

Problem is I only have 1 monitor and it's a hassle connecting/disconnecting the monitor from my main PC to the DAW when I want to record.

Is there a simple way of connecting to my DAW from my main PC (without internet connection sharing) and use it from there?

WinXP Home edition on DAW
WinXP Pro on Main PC

I've got a crossover cable connecting both PC's through their onboard LAN's and the main PC is connected to the internet through a regular PCI Ethernet adapter.

I've been able to share files but I'm looking for total access of my DAW's Audio programs and hardware.

Remote Desktop maybe? Can this be done through a crossover cable?

I'm slightly PC savvy but a Network dummy :o

Thanks for taking the time to help :)

Remote Desktop, but your DAW would have to be Pro, not Home. Or you can use VNC, but it's slower than RDP.

It works pretty nicely. I use my laptop to control my daw when I am recording my acoustic, because I can run an XLR cable, then remotely control the DAW transports without having to worry about getting fan noise (not that there's much to begin with, but.....)

Get yourself a KVM-switch. I did this, and I can't believe why it took me so long to do this.

Got a DKVM-4K from D-Link. It is a simple box that sits between both pc's, and I can even switch between them without having to touch it. (just using the scroll-lock) It doesn't need power and it just works. No need for software to install, just connect it and forget it. It switches to the first pc that boots without any setup.

EDIT: you will still need the network connection to share files...

Looks like I'm going to go the KVM route. I've got to admit that I'm very curious to try Remote desktop but having to switch OS from one PC to another TWICE :eek: (done this before, XP activation over the phone is a nightmare) is just too much.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back