Need Help with Studio Monitors/Studio Interface (Mackie CR4)

bmanning

Hey Guys,
As December approaches, I'm planning to invest in various audio equipment. I currently own a Numark Mixtrack II. I had really enjoyed it until I played out one night and blew a set of crap computer speakers that i directly connected the RCA cables to. I dont really plan on DJ'ing places with the Mackie CR4's, I just want them for general use and to maybe use with a DAW, specifically FL11. However I do not have an audio interface. I am wondering if I need a specific audio interface for the Mackie CR4's to be able to connect to, as well as be able to use midi controllers(piano) and my Numark Mixtrack. I have an MSI laptop with 8 gigs of ram so i'm not too worried about it handling software. I also play the guitar and drums but, im only looking for a starter/do it all interface, I dont plan on recording drums so Id be fine with 2 inputs. I just want to make sure I am buying the proper equipment to have a decent home studio experience.

My Mixtrack connects to my computer via USB 2.0. It has a white and red RCA inputs, that is it.

As I look at the Mackie CR4's they have RCA(unbalanced) ports. Would that be the place i connect my mixer too?

They also seem to have TRS ports as well. Is that what I would use to connect it to an audio interface?

Also I will get headphones because lets be honest, I'm a musician and i still have turtle beaches.... Probably looking for a set of headphones around 50-80

Any help answering these questions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your help,
Brian

Both the rca and trs jacks are inputs. The rca jacks are so the monitors can be used with more consumer grade stuff. You could even, with the right cable, use your phone's or an Ipod's headphone output jack to feed the monitors.
The trs is for an interface, monitor controller, or a mixing deck's balanced outs.

Just more choices, thats all.

But, to answer your other question(s), yes an audio interface is what you need. Something like the Steinberg UR22 or Scarlett 2i4 will give you MIDI capability (although many consumer MIDI keyboards these days are USB-only, so would not plug into the interface)

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm looking for a interface with one to two XLR outputs. The midi keyboard I have plugs directly via USB. Because of this I might not need as much as I anticipated. Any thoughts on interfaces a little cheaper that will still get the job done and be durable? Also should I use the TRS Jacks for interface connectivity? Considering I would use the Mixtrack through the RCAs. The only Jacks left on the Mackie would be the TRS which are 1/4" correct? I understand most interfaces use USB, and I have about 4 USB 3.0 ports on my computer. One would be used for midi, one for Mixtrack, and one currently from headphones as well as my razer deathadder. Should I just invest in a mixer instead for the 1/4" jacks directly to the monitors. Also if I invest in a mixer it has the ability to record whatever instruments are used like an interface?

Back