Need help on software selection.

JerryD

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what the best recording
software is without spending a ton of money.
I have heard of Steinberg Cubase, Sound Forge,
and Cakewalk. I'm currently using Samplitude 5.5
which I have only been using for 8 days. I feel
like I have already outgrown Samplitude. Could
someone tell me what software your using and what
the limitations and/or advantages are? I looked in
the FAQ of this site and it doesn't talk much about
software.

Thanks a bunch, Jerry

Cool Edit Pro is cheaper than most and almost as good. The downside is that many of the transforms (effects) are not in real time, so you have to wait for the computer to process them before getting to hear them. Another downside for me is that when you apply a transform, not only do you have to wait sometimes, but then you only get to hear the track it was applied to. If you want to hear the effected track in the whole mix you then have to save the transform (which takes more waiting time) and then bung it back into the mix to listen to the overall result. Aside from that, I really like it. People who like it *really* like it.

JerryD,

First of all, when you say Samplitude 5.5, do you mean the full version of Samplitude or the "lite" version, Samplitude Project? I would have thought that the full version is more-or-less as deep and feature-rich as any other package. Not to mention the price -- if I recall it's more expensive than Cakewalk or Cubase.

You're also comparing some different beasts, so knowing what you want to do would help. For example, Cubase and Cakewalk are certainly comparable, but Sound Forge and Cool Edit are stereo wav file editors, not multitrack audio/MIDI sequencers.

What hardware are you using. I have found (the hard way) that some combinations are better than others.

Software

Thanks a bunch guys.

I'm using a Rode NT1 mic info a Mackie compact mixer then going into a Lynxone card. I have the lite version
of Samplitude (Project)
from bayview audio that they were giving away. I had planned on purchasing software but I was going to give the Samplitude lite version a try.

I need software to do the following:

Do multitrack recording
Real .drum loops would be good. (Tired of creating them.)
I really don't need realtime effects.
Be compatible with the lynxone card that I have.

That's it. I just want to buy the best package out there
once and that be the end of it. I would even buy two software packages that worked well together if it gave me the above. Does this help?

I would suggest n-track if you are on a budget. I use it everyday and have 0 problems. For the 24 bit version you only pay $59 US. I've had the oppurtunity to use Cubase, Cool Edit and Cakewalk but I've stuck with n-track. It will do unlimited tracks (theorhetically) of audio and supports directX as well as VST plugins. As far as drum loops go there is no native support if I think I understand you correctly. What I do is use Fruityloops as my drum machine and then import wav files of each piece of the "kit" as seperate tracks in n-track. I find this setup ALOT better than a midi drum loop. I can control the pan, effects, eq of the kit as if I had live miced it. Anyway... Check out n-track at http://www.fasoft.com If you have questions I've found the guys in the forum there really helpful.

No I don't work for fasoft :P

-valgrim

AHHH...HELLO JERRY D...I HAVE ALSO ASKED MYSELF THE SAME QUETSION U ARE NOW....AND I TRIED ALL SORTS OF STUFF IN THE DEMO VERSION, THAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GET AN IDEA OF WHAT IS OUT THERE...I WOUND UP USING CUBASE....I LOVE IT.IT IS ABOUT $20 BUCKS MORE FOR THE LIGHT VERSON, BUT IT WILL BE MORE THAN ENOUGH FOR WHAT U WANT. IT IS COMPATIBLE WITH ANY SOUNDCARD AND IT HAS A BEAT MACHINE (LM-9) AS ONE OF ITS REAL TIME MIDI INSTRUMENTS EVEN THOUGH U DONT NEED REAL TIME EFFECTS, IT HAS THEM AND IT WORKS LIKE SENDS ON A REGUALR MIXER...AND THIS IS THE LIGHT VERSION ..IF U WANT ANYTHING STRONGER ...IT WILL COST U AT LEAST $200+ THIS IS ABOUT $90...STEINBERG SHOULD REALLY PAY ME FOR THIS,LOL GOOD LUCK MAN!

hey man,

have you looked into Emagic Logic or MOTU Digital performer?. I would say they are the most powerful software programs right now.

If you read reviews on digital performer, the reviewers are almost gushing.

id suggest both of those too..with the exeption of digital performer....it is about$600 for the software and u need the hardware interface/hard disk recorders ...those run for about $1000 to $3000 he is looking not to spen d alot of money on it...so id suggest either cubase or emagic logic

Back