Need help simplifying my digital set up

mawilla

OK, I have been out of the loop for many years now. I have a digital set up, with ADAT's running through a Motu 2408 Mk2 and into a D8B and lots of sound modules running through a Unitor 8 into Logic Pro 7.

I have now bitten the bullet and record audio straight to Logic, thereby making the ADAT's redundant. I want to simplify the way I work. Currently all my sound modules go through various noisy patchbays. In an ideal world I would sell the D8B and get a smaller desk to use as a controller for Logic and do away with the noisy patchbays. I don't want to get rid of the sound modules or any of the outboard gear though. So my question is, do I need to keep all of the patchbays, can this all be done digitally somehow? What I don't understand is how do you use lots of external sound modules without a big mixer?

Many thanks in advance!

If you have a lot of outboard gear, I would think a patchbay is pretty much needed. Unless of course, you just put it what you need when you need it, but that's just way more difficult and fiddly, than just patching as, when and how you need. If you want to do it digitally, you need to have the stuff you have as hardware, as software plugins instead. It'll give you less noise than constant D-A/A-D conversions will too.

Back