Need help on new hard drive!

drummersteve

hi there

my current situation is that i have 2 hard drives, one 80gig and one 4gig. i only ever really use the 80gig one as it can store many more things on it. the thing is, because i am only using the one drive, audio is beginning to click, pop etc. i understand it is better to have two hard drives, one for all the OS, software im using (cubase) and all the plugins etc, and then another one for audio. the thing is, there are so many specs to look out for (which i have gathered from reading threads) i just dont know where to start!

*would it be better to buy a new hard drive for audio and keep my 80gig for the OS etc, or buy a new hard drive for OS and use my current 80gig for audio?*

which ever of the above you guys think, can you give me a few models that i can check out? i really have no idea where to start. people have mentioned sustained throughput, interface speed, oi dont even know what these things mean!! the cache memory and seek time i understand though.

so yeh if anybody has any reccomendations of hard drives id be highly grateful. thanks a bunch.

steve

btw, i am running cubase sx1 (hopefully upgrading to sx3 soon tho) on windows xp operating system, using quite alot of plugins on my mixes. thanks!

This isn't a bad deal if you don't mind the wait on rebates.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat33200050001&id=1051826249503

Use your current drive as your OS/Application drives, and the new drive (if it's bigger and/or faster) for your data and files.

Seagate is the popular brand.
Hitachi is fast but people are skepticle because of the high failure rate in the past when before they bought out IBM.
Samsung is a sleeper favorite (a good balance between speed and quietness).
Maxtor and Western Digital are seen as ok but nothing special.

hopefully the new one is an SATA...even better bang/peformance for the buck...if the MOBO will support it that is.

drummersteve said:
btw, i am running cubase sx1 (hopefully upgrading to sx3 soon tho) on windows xp operating system, using quite alot of plugins on my mixes. thanks!

If you're using a lot of plugs, a second hard drive isn't gonna get rid of those pops and clicks. I suggest you beef up on ram first, then grab yourself a dedicated audio drive second. ;)

haha, ive already got 1gig of RAM, how much more will i need?!
there are also slight clicks and pops recorded on tracks as the number of tracks increases. im guessing this is down to not having a dedicated audio drive?

Back