Need Help With My Home Computer Recording Studio Setup

Texas Advocate

I currently have a PIII, 500Mhz, 256MB RAM, 32MB Video, and SoundBlaster Live w/ digital I/O card. I am getting tired of using a reducer plug to plug my guitar and/or mic into the back of my computer. I am using Cool Edit Pro for my recording software, but am very new to the computer recording area. I am considering the SB Live Platinum or E-UM Audio Production Studio, I would like some advice as to which one is better. I am a single person who is trying to record multiple instruments (from the software which came with SB Live {i.e. Creativeware} by using the "record what you hear" option on the volume control) onto seperate tracks and then mix together to put onto a CD. If in your opinion I am completely confused, then give my your adivce/opinion on what I should use/buy to assist me in making a better composition. Any assistance/advice is greatly appreciated.

If you have the SB Live and the digital I/O option, don't get a SB Live Platinum 'cause you already got one! (The regular Live! + digital I/O box = the Platinum).

The Emu APS is basically the same card too though it does have better A/D converters. But too much money, I think.

If you are plugging a mic and a guitar straight into the back of the card, what you really need first is some kind of mic preamp or direct box, or a small mixer.

The SB Live card will do fine to get started. After a while you might want something that does a better job of recording audio. But the SB Live is a great place to start. I've even kept mine since I have no other MIDI devices and it worvks very nicely with my Delta 66.

Back