Need help - laptop audio interface

toohyetoreply

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and to the whole audio scene in general. Recently I've wanted to create quality recordings of my piano playing, so I've set out to get all the equipment I needed to make digital recordings on my laptop.

I bought a pair of Samson C02 condenser microphones for about $120. And seeing as I needed an interface I bought an m-audio fast track pro USB interface for about $150.

I thought this would be a quality setup, however I've been having issues with the m-audio. I found a review that describes them pretty well but I'm not allowed to post links yet so just search google for: m-audio fast track pro noise, and it should be the first result.

Basically my microphones sound really quiet and when I try to turn up the gain on the input I get a lot of noise. I thought maybe my microphones just weren't sensitive enough but I read that guy's review and it seems the m-audio fast track pro just sucks.

So my question is, can anyone give any suggestions for a decent usb (or firewire) audio recording interface with XLR inputs and phantom power? Is it possible to find one under $200?

Thanks for any suggestions!

edit: maybe this should have gone in the newbies section.

Last edited:
first off Welcome to the forums !

there is so much useful informatino here its ridiculous...

now about your question....
im using a lexicon lambda with my dell inspiron 1525 and have had no issues with it at all....it cost me about $120 theres others with more inputs

check em out at

http://www.lexiconpro.com/ProductPortal.aspx

you can do a search of the forums for interfaces and get more information as well

cheers !

:)

Hi, thanks for the suggestion!

I found Tweak's guide mentioned a couple of times on this forum and on there he suggested the Tascam US-122L. I found it online for about $110. Does anyone have any experience with it or know if it will suit my needs?

Thanks again.

I too just bought an M Audio Fast track pro, and was about to return it; but not for the same issues you're describing.

My problem was due to driver incompatibility.

I had some noise issues in the beginning, but they were easily solved following some suggestions they made about optimizing your windows enviroment.

Have you tried those?
Have you logged into the M Audio forums? They give excellent advice there about their products.

I just disabled many devices that I didn't use, and changed some basic settings to make my laptop more efficient.

I'm using Windows Vista home basic 32 bit platform, and have been having great results since I fixed the bugs.

Make sure you are using a DAW that supports ASIO drivers.

IMHO, don't give up just yet.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Hrm thanks.

I'm using Vista Home Premium 32-bit, but I haven't had any problems with the drivers. I don't think it's a software issue though. There's a button that lets you hear whatever's coming from the inputs straight from the headphones, and when this is pressed you can immediately hear the noise when the gain is turned up enough. There doesn't even need to be anything plugged into the mic inputs.

However, I'm starting to think maybe it's not getting enough power fromt he USB port. I'm trying to find a 9V adapter that I can use to power it directly, or a powered USB hub.

Thanks for all the help. I'm also going to check out the m-audio forums to see if they have any advice.

MOTU Ultralite

Not sure if this helps cause I think the MOTU Ultralite is probably a fair bit higher than what you suggested, but originally I was going to get a smaller interface but just felt this was a lot more practical and open to whatever I might get up to in the future. Several years ago I bought a cheaper soundcard but still now I have bought another one cause it didn't do the job.

The ultralite is an 8 in 10 out (which might sound like a lot) but about in the future if you'd like to use more microphones to get a more interesting sound for your recordings, such as more room ambience. Or how about you start playing with other people and you'd like to record them on independent tracks later.

Anyhow, I do recommend having a look at all the MOTU stuff, they sound really nice and really worth the research. Just have a look around and see what people say about them.

I'll suggest what I use. Presonus Inspire 1394. 2 mic preamps, phantom power, small & light (portable).

Well I decided I'm going to return the M-Audio fast track pro. I tried it with my friend's powered USB hub and still had the same problem (low level, lots of preamp noise when gain is turned up).

I think I might go with the Tascam US-122L. I found one on craigslist for about $110, which is about the price of a new one, BUT it also comes with a condenser mic (can't hurt to have another one can it?).

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/989981090.html

The mic isn't necessary though, I don't really have any use for it (for now). Do you guys think it would be better for me to get one brand new? Or have used equipment and an extra mic.

edit:
I contacted him and the mic is a Tascam LD-74.

Last edited:
Back