Need help on hard disc recording

rdeboer

Need help on hard disc recording!!

I have a problem with my set up. I've just moved to a new home and found that the time was right to finally set up a digital set up for my music gear.

Used to record only MIDI, but now I found that it was time for me to start working like the pro's. Anyway, easier said then done..... I finally manged to get my set up in a digital set up, but now i can't make any recordings.

Work with a PII PC, 96 RAM, and 4 GB hard drive, Pinnacle Project Studio sound card, 24 channel mixer and
some sound modules and synths.

I own a Spirit Studio 24 channel mixer, the question is weather I have plugged in the line out and line in correctly. If I read the PPS manual correctly I should insert the line out to the mixer tape or aux return. I have inserted it in two line inputs of the mixer. So I use two channels.

The mix output of the mixer is used for the line in of the PPS. I don't know weather this is good or not. There are more outputs on the desk, i.e. INS (allow external processing equipment), FB (Foldback outputs), 2TRK (2-track tape machine) and C/RM (control/room & phones level). I use C/RM output to the amplifier.

Now if I open the channels on the desk the monitors starts singing.

If I follow the manual of Cubase this is what I should do first. After I recorded some MIDI tracks, eg. kick, claps, hihat, I define an Audio track and set it to stereo. Now when I start playing an instrument nothing is heard. The MIDI channels are playing but I can't designate an instrument to the Audio track.

So I haven't had a chance yet to find out weather I have installed my set up correctly yet.

Sounds like a few bugs need to be worked out. Bypass your mixer for a moment and run a mic or instrument direct to the soundcard - tweak your program to get it to record audio proper. Make sure you are getting input level in the virtual mixer, if not - you may have a control panel issue or your software doesn't recognise your card - the latter is highly unlikely. Once you have got this much of it straightened out, find the correct outs from the mixer.

thanx!

Great thnx a lot for the tip! I now get line input on my sound card, but still if I want to record an audio track in Cubase nothing happens. The Cubase meter in the monitor window also shows that it gets an audio signal.

If I start recording the only thing it records is the midi tracks I've already recorded. What is the idea behind hard disc recording???

Should you first record a midi track and than re-record it in an audio track?? Or is it possible to directly record on an audio track.... If this is the case I should first record a midi track and after tha I should record the same track in audio...

Can you give me some advice on this??

Ryan

You should have the option to record midi as midi or midi as audio. All depends which channel inputs -ports- you select for your track. I am not sure about cubase, but in CPA 9 if I assign an audio port on the input of a track I can record midi, voice, guitar, streetnoise, whatever.

You are almost there now, you just have to find the proper soundcard settings for your software. If you have anykind of wave file on your hard drive see if Cubase will open it and play it.

The discriminating Cubasists hang out in the Cubase area,
they may be more helpful - at this point - than I.

Back