Need help with Delta44 and Yamaha MG12/4

carbonscoring

I need a little help; For christams santa bought me a Yamaha MG12/4 12-Input 4 Bus Mixer and M-audio's Delta 44. I'm realitlvly new to recording and have only recorded with a basic 4 track cassette player. I would like to record Four Simultaneous tracks for the drums. Snare, bass drum, overhead and maybe hi-hat. I would like to use the mixer to mix before I send it to the breakout box and then do additional mixing, if needed, in software.

I toyed a little with it last night however, I was able to send it to my recording software but, I couldnt hear it while it was recording only when I played it back (after I unplugged my head phones out of the mixer and plugged them into my soundcard). I had a set a headphones and I could hear it play when I had my instrument plugged into the "line in" ok only when I threw a additional cable from the I/O to the break-out box is when I could not hear anything. Now this may have been because I was recording metronome drum set off my "pandora's" box just to test stuff out and I was using the "line in" and the "I/O"at the same time; I'm assuming that when I mic off the drums and go into the XLR side of the board then out threw the I/O input then to the break-out box that my problems will be solved?

I don't know is there an easier way or better way that I would achive better sound quality. This mixer seems good for its price and I would like to use it to its full capabilities. Also Im using "Conquest 16-Gauge Heavy-Duty Speaker Cable 3 Foot" from my mixer to the delta 44 break-out box and just curious if I should use something diffrent. Thanks in advance for your help.

Here's what I have...

Pentium III 800mhz
256mb Sdram
Lite-on 52x cdrw
M-Audio Delta 44
Yamaha MG12/4
Cakewalk Sonar

Back