Need help choosing a sound card (Audio Interface) with 4 xlr inputs.

Dryzon

Hi, I just joined this forum looking for some answers regarding the world of recording equipment. I've been working on audio/video projects for years now, just the editing side only. It's not like I know nothing about the hardware but I just want to get some things straight. I'm coming up with a list of items I need to put together a podcast-type show. My understanding is as follows: Microphone -> xlr cable -> audio interface -> usb - > computer -> software like OBS etc. Is that basically it? is there a certain parameter I need to pay particular attention to? I have picked out the 4 mics I'll be using, as well as must peripherals like scissor arm stands and shock mounts, but choices like the audio interface trouble me. In my country there isn't a huge selection of AI units, especially in a reasonable price. The Akai EIE is at around 150 Euro, and has 4 xlr input slots. What do you think of it? Is it going to do the job? Is there a different AI for around the same cash that yields better results? Is there anything I need that I'm missing? Thank you very much for any reply, and for taking the time to read my post.

Where is it exactly that you live Dryzon? I bet there are members here that will help you from your region without being so crass...

Welcome to HR! :)

Jimmy

I wouldn't know the distribution, but I'm laughing at myself for thinking Behringer was in every market. "No Behringer" might be funny on its own ?

Where is it exactly that you live Dryzon? I bet there are members here that will help you from your region without being so crass...

Jimmy

I doubt I'm getting banned for having a chuckle at Behringer

Hi Dryzon, yes, WFT are you? You quote in Euros so safe to say in EU? If that is so then surely you can order from Thomann? However, the Akai EIE...

Seems to have gone off planet and what I have read about it has not been great. First off you want the 'Pro' version. I understand the 'not Pro' is 16 bits only which in itself is no big deal but I don't know what else is pruned? I have not looked for about a year but I never did find a decent specification written for the unit. I downloaded the user manual, piss poor.

Reluctantly I have to admit that the Behringer AIs have garnered some rep. The UMC 404HD would seem to fit your needs. Fact is, there are few 4 mic input AIs around until you get into serious monies.

However, I am going to speak HR heresy now and say "look at a USB mixer". Yes you want 4 mic pres but for podcasting you can only send 2 channels? The Allen & Heath ZED10FX is a good mixer and now is also a 24 bit interface. I also think a mixer would suit your purposes better? Easy to feed in other sources, CD, phone etc.

Can I also say that although it is somewhat rude to 'spend someone else's money' I feel going as cheap as possible would bite you back quite shortly. You sound as though the gear you get will get a lot of use. A&H kit will stand that, other stuff might not!

Dave.

Jimmy

Haha, I'm sorry, don't know why I mystified my place of origin so much, I'm from Greece. And to be honest, there's quite a decent selection of stuff to choose from, but the prices vary wildly.

The Akai is probably about it. No Behringer (in your country) ? hahah

Oh there's quite a bit of Behringer in my country, I just thought for the price that AKAI one might be worth it. Any specific unit I should look for?

Hi Dryzon, yes, WFT are you? You quote in Euros so safe to say in EU? If that is so then surely you can order from Thomann? However, the Akai EIE...

Seems to have gone off planet and what I have read about it has not been great. First off you want the 'Pro' version. I understand the 'not Pro' is 16 bits only which in itself is no big deal but I don't know what else is pruned? I have not looked for about a year but I never did find a decent specification written for the unit. I downloaded the user manual, piss poor.

Reluctantly I have to admit that the Behringer AIs have garnered some rep. The UMC 404HD would seem to fit your needs. Fact is, there are few 4 mic input AIs around until you get into serious monies.

However, I am going to speak HR heresy now and say "look at a USB mixer". Yes you want 4 mic pres but for podcasting you can only send 2 channels? The Allen & Heath ZED10FX is a good mixer and now is also a 24 bit interface. I also think a mixer would suit your purposes better? Easy to feed in other sources, CD, phone etc.

Can I also say that although it is somewhat rude to 'spend someone else's money' I feel going as cheap as possible would bite you back quite shortly. You sound as though the gear you get will get a lot of use. A&H kit will stand that, other stuff might not!

Dave.

I agree with the long-term investment aspect you speak of, I have applied that principle to every other piece of equipment I know more about, like the microphones, pop filters, shock mounts and scissor arms. The recording apparatus though.. It's a different story. What would you propose without totally escaping the realm of feasibility when it comes to the price tag?

The Xenyx has 4 xlr inputs . . . but you will only get stereo (i.e. 2 tracks) going from it via USB to computer. Which means you can record a mix of four channels, but not each separately.

The ZED 10FX is Eu 195 at Thomann but I have no idea if they send to Greece?

Yes a good deal more than the Behringer but an infinitely better mixer. I actually have a very early (16bit) Zed 10 and it is very well made and has excellent mic pre amps and generally a good solid build quality.

Yes Gecks' most USB mixer only record a stereo pair and the Z10 is the same but I mentioned this before, surely you can only send a 2 channel podcast?

Dave.

The x1222usb at least has minimal routing. Try to get used to going through the download manuals to be sure it makes sense for what you want to do. Thomann.de has it at eu185 less shipping.

It took me a couple weeks of snooping, but I went with the qx2442usb and that was with minimal in/out. If you are straight-up just mixing four MICs, any old 1202 will do. Would be nice to have compression on the four MICs available with the Q model, though

Thomann even have a Greek section on their website so they certainly ship there. They're certainly hard to beat (in Europe at least on price and service.

THOMANN GREECE

Thomann even have a Greek section on their website so they certainly ship there. They're certainly hard to beat (in Europe at least on price and service.

THOMANN GREECE

Ta for that Bobbs. The other advantage of a mixer is, if OP is running 4 mics he can pan each one to any desired point in the stereo 'picture' . Not something you can easily do with any AI I know of?

Dave.

Not something you can easily do with any AI I know of?

Possibly not, depending on model. However, in the OP's first post, it seems he was seeking a 4 channel interface, and asked about one such, i.e. the Akai EIE. Were he to get himself a 4 channel interface, being able to create a stereo picture on the way in would be academic, because any picture could be created and varied with in the DAW.

Possibly not, depending on model. However, in the OP's first post, it seems he was seeking a 4 channel interface, and asked about one such, i.e. the Akai EIE. Were he to get himself a 4 channel interface, being able to create a stereo picture on the way in would be academic, because any picture could be created and varied with in the DAW.

True G but I was thinking he wanted to do this in 'real time'?

Dave.

Back