Need help choosing a sound card (Audio Interface) with 4 xlr inputs.

It is still, essentially, broadcasting. So, it depends on what you will want to mix in outside the MIC action. A lot of the control may be in this software ? Having a engineer, or, girlfriend doing all that tech stuff : )

It is still, essentially, broadcasting. So, it depends on what you will want to mix in outside the MIC action. A lot of the control may be in this software ? Having a engineer, or, girlfriend doing all that tech stuff : )

Yup, exactly! It will be more like a show than strictly a podcast, there will be a video element and it will be live before uploaded as a recording. Definitely will get someone to manage OBS behind the scenes, shift scenes around, pan the camera, lower-raise any volume etc. Other than that, the only audio aspect should be the one coming from our end, any other should easily be patched through the software since the media is transmitted locally by the PC.

The Xenyx has 4 xlr inputs . . . but you will only get stereo (i.e. 2 tracks) going from it via USB to computer. Which means you can record a mix of four channels, but not each separately.

Right, help me fully understand this. Each channel has it's own gain setting etc. The output will be a mix of those four, but I will be able to change each channel's gain and stuff in real time right?

The ZED 10FX is Eu 195 at Thomann but I have no idea if they send to Greece?

Yes a good deal more than the Behringer but an infinitely better mixer. I actually have a very early (16bit) Zed 10 and it is very well made and has excellent mic pre amps and generally a good solid build quality.

Yes Gecks' most USB mixer only record a stereo pair and the Z10 is the same but I mentioned this before, surely you can only send a 2 channel podcast?

Dave.

Thomann looks like a great solution, depending on what they cost for shipping. The ZED 10FX looks like a pretty solid deal. Thanks!

EDIT: The ZED-10 looks very nice too as a unit, if that counts for anything haha. Very slick.

Allen and Heath, Soundcraft will probably be "better". But note that the 1202 and zed only have rotary levels on the channels. The Behringer 1204 has sliders.

I have a 1002fx with the rotary levels and it is fine, unless I'm doing two things at once : ) In that regard, pulling out the old Tascam m-106 has space between controls that almost give 3rd-eye accesability

Attachments

• m106b.jpg
    m106b.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 5
I bought one of these used a while back and have no complaints about it. It does not use a wall wart for the mains power (plugs in via standard IEC cord) and has a good amount of capability for routing and outputs. As noted, you'd likely be better off with channel faders rather than rotary knobs for what you're doing.....

Behringer Xenyx X1204 USB

Right, help me fully understand this. Each channel has it's own gain setting etc. The output will be a mix of those four, but I will be able to change each channel's gain and stuff in real time right?
There is a 'gain' setting and fader 'level' on each mic channel. You'll set the 'gain' for a mic and most generally leave it. The 'fader' can be used to change the level of each channel in real time.

I bought one of these used a while back and have no complaints about it. It does not use a wall wart for the mains power (plugs in via standard IEC cord) and has a good amount of capability for routing and outputs. As noted, you'd likely be better off with channel faders rather than rotary knobs for what you're doing.....

Behringer Xenyx X1204 USB

There is a 'gain' setting and fader 'level' on each mic channel. You'll set the 'gain' for a mic and most generally leave it. The 'fader' can be used to change the level of each channel in real time.

Right, thank you.

---------- Update ----------

Roger that! Thanks for the tips!

While I'm here, I'd love your guys' opinion on the rest of the equipment I've picked. For the set-up of the show, Imagine a frame including a couch, and two sofa-chairs on each side. I'm thinking about mounting the scissor arm stands near where the person is sitting having them be easily moved in and spoken into. I'm thinking of buying Audio Technica's AT2020 mic, along with a shock mount and pop filter. As far as the XLR cables go, the only thing I know about them good enough to consider is their length, haha. And that's about it audio-wise. Any thoughts?

I think ProCo does alright for MIC cables without spending extra money. You might be better with lapel MICs ( as long as your guests aren't wrestling).

Was there some reason you need to use LDC MICs ?

Whilst linear faders look cool and are certainly required IF you need to Jodrel several sources at a time, beware of cheap ones.

They are prone to dust and fluid ingress and are often an 'in house' component that cannot be sourced elsewhere. Certainly Behringers won't sell you any!

Dave.

---------- Update ----------

Whilst linear faders look cool and are certainly required IF you need to Jodrel several sources at a time, beware of cheap ones.

They are prone to dust and fluid ingress and are often an 'in house' component that cannot be sourced elsewhere. Certainly Behringers won't sell you any!

Dave.

I've never heard of moving a fader referred to as "to Jodrel" but I might just steal that one.

I think its unlikely to podcast 24/7, but I don't think much of any modern lower priced electronics will have a parts department.

For the next couple days its forecast winds to 32, 40, 29.34 mph and I get a lot of oxide dirt - particularly, but I can get hit with a dust devil 3 times a day. And, I smoke like a chimney to supplement hair from 20-30 cats.

I have problems with computers and synths from the '80s. Volcano ash is bad, though

"I think its unlikely to podcast 24/7, but I don't think much of any modern lower priced electronics will have a parts department."

Possibly so but, a rotary control can almost always be sourced from an electronics supplier (Rapid say) and even if it is not a drop in, so long as the value an law are correct it can be kludged in.

Linear pots are different. Rarer as spares to start with and it might be impossible to get the size that fits, fixing hole centres to match even if you can get the right value and law.

Nearest volcano to me is, AFAIK in Italy! I have not smoked for 40 years and live in the temperate and leafy suburb of Northampton UK (Goog.. NN5 5P*)

Dave.

I think ProCo does alright for MIC cables without spending extra money. You might be better with lapel MICs ( as long as your guests aren't wrestling).

Was there some reason you need to use LDC MICs ?

I thought about using lav mics but since we are going to be sitting talking about stuff I think LDC mics on legit mounts would be better for both sound quality and aesthetic.

EDIT: If I were to go with Lav Mics, what's the setup going to be like there? Still need the same kind of mixer? Lav Mics connect with 3.5mm jacks right? And there needs to be a low voltage supplied to them in order to work through the input right? Where would I connect them? And the camera isn't an option as of now. Any you would recommend?

I don't know about lav MICs other than is a goto on TV where speakers are expected to not fidget around too much.

I don't have to do this broadcast stuff, but I'm recording music live and posting on the tube. Should I need to sing or talk, I'd be using my Yamaha headset fones

haha. Well, we can have repair enter the mind, but that is a lost concept with many newer persons

Dave.......

One source of 'some' Behringer parts (US based)...... (also a good source for other manufacturers)
Behringer Replacement/Service Parts | Full Compass

Another possible source...
Behringer Parts List

On another forum a member did have good luck contacting Behringer for some obscure part.

Fork! I wanted some spares for my (third! under warranty!) BCA2000 interface some years ago and they did not want to know AT ALL! Still in the loft, free to anyone wanting the bits.

Dave.

Back