Need a help about Lexicon Alpha Audio Interface plzzz !

Ivan.A

Hello HR friends ! This is me Ivan:) I am a musician ... I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

Recently I have started learning DAW's and want to build a cheap homestudio. As I don't have lot of money right now :P
I already have m-audio keyrig 49 keys and a powermac g5 and pc.

Now the thing is I want to buy a cheap usb audio interface so I had planned to buy Lexicon Alpha Audio Interface as it within 60$
But I got to know that it doesn't have phantom power So is that a problem ??? but as it says it have xlr input I actually don't get it ! and am little bit confused :(

So, can you guys please tell me if i buy this interface can I record vocal without phantom power ?? and do condenser mic can be used via xlr input with out phantom power ?? if there is any microphone which can be used with this interface please suggest me :) or if there is any interface within 60$ ..

WAITING FOR REPLY :)
Thanks in advance !! Good Day !

Condenser mics need a source of phantom power to work. There are one or two condensers that can take onboard batteries but they're usually shotgun mics aimed at the film and TV market, not something you'd want in a studio.

Dynamic mics like the SM57 or SM58 or SM7B or a whole pile of others do NOT need phantom power but they do need a lot of clean gain. I'm not sure if the Lexicon has enough but I have a friend who uses on and likes it.

It IS possible to buy a phantom power supply like the Behringer PS400 (about $35 or $40 normally) to get around this problem...but you also might find a different interface with phantom for a price similar to the Lexicon and the power supply.

my friend if you have time can you check Lexicon Alpha USB Desktop Recording Studio specification ?? about gain and phantom power ? please :) ( sorry couldn't post the URL the fourm is not allowing me :(

The Alpha definitely does NOT have phantom power. I've been down this road before (even recommended it before I noticed).

As for the gain, they specify 44dB which is a bit on the low side. It'll be okay for many mics but likely not for things like an SM7B.

Worryingly, they say they have 44dB of gain but specify a noise figure (a decent one) based on 50dB of gain which brings their spec slightly into question.

Frankly, you'll probably find a suitable interface (the Tascam US 122 Mk II or an M Audio M track spring to mind) for about the same price as the Lexicon and a phantom supply combined and that'll let you use a condenser with no fears about input gain.

Hope this helps

Thank's for the reply ! That is a better idea ! I think to buy the other one which you are recommending.. As maybe not now later I might need condenser a mic :)

You'll likely get plenty of other interface suggestions and they'll likely be equally good--those are just two I happened to know rough prices for off the top of my head.

If you do get other suggestions, things to check on the spec are:

-Phantom power (obviously!)

-ASIO drivers for your computer and Operating System

-Direct hardware monitoring (probably a knob on the panel with "computer" at one end and "microphone" at the other).

The Alpha has only one mic input. Most other entry level interfaces have two. You may find that, along with phantom power and more gain, to be very useful at some point in the future.

Hii Bob ! I choose M-audio M-track :) it has phantom power .. do you know it ?

Not personally...it's a newly released model.

However, I have two older M Audio boxes (a Mobile Pre for location work and a Profire Lightbridge to connect my digital mixer to my computer) and both have worked well and reliably--the Mobile Pre is about 11 years old now and the Lightbridge 9 years and both are still going strong.

The only thing to be aware of is that Avid have recently purchased part of the M Audio range and left other things behind--for a while things were a bit confusing but they seem to have this sorted now with the release of the M Track gear.

Back