Need advice on setup

Drumin

Hey everyone, I'm getting my ducks in a row for a small recording project and need some input on my system plan. Of course, I'm on a budget so here's what I have and what I'm considering.

I have an HP 5058 PC HP Compaq 505B Specs - CNET
It currently has 3 of a possible 4 gig mem.
I also have an external 500gb hard drive.

My plan is to purchase:
As my IO device - Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 | Musician's Friend
The 4th gig of mem for the PC
Probably download Audacity

My concerns are the shared video and audio memory with the HP. Will I have a problem due to lack of A/V memory even though I'm using an external IO device?

Thanks in advance.

I think we need to know more about your project before we can help you out. Tell us more about this project........how many tracks.......how long.......types of instruments. Is it going to be live? Will it be one track at a time or more than one track at a time? Will you be using mics.........what kind? It looks like you won't have a need for Audacity because the package you're buying includes Cubase which is a fairly complete DAW. As for the memory demands.........it's quite possible that you would have no problems but again.........without having a much better idea of what you're doing........I can't tell you more.

^ What Mickster said. ^

Also, I didn't look at the specs of the machine, but I bet you will have to purchase all new RAM. Unless your machine has 4 memory slots and only 3 are filled now you won't be able to add just 1GB of RAM. You have to add it in even amounts so buying a new memory module with 1GB of RAM might not work for you. I would check the specs on upgrading or open it up and see how many slots it has. You might also have 4GB of RAM with only 3 "readable" or usable GB and 1 allocated to video.

I think we need to know more about your project before we can help you out. Tell us more about this project........how many tracks.......how long.......types of instruments. Is it going to be live? Will it be one track at a time or more than one track at a time? Will you be using mics.........what kind? It looks like you won't have a need for Audacity because the package you're buying includes Cubase which is a fairly complete DAW. As for the memory demands.........it's quite possible that you would have no problems but again.........without having a much better idea of what you're doing........I can't tell you more.
Thanks for your reply, Mickster.
The project is an original songs, rock recording. No more than 2 stereo instruments recording at a time, some midi sequencing, vocals... so, many tracks will be necessary. I have a focusrite platinum penta for the phantom power. Standard rock instruments with a roland E-kit for drums. Hope that covers it.

I reckon you will be ok with what you have.

Due to my main music PC being out of action, I am using a back-up which only has 2mb RAM. It's doing just fine on audio stuff.

Back