Nas fyi

ecc83

Bugger! The link does not seem to want to paste over. Anyhoos, Dabs have a 5TB NAS drive on offer for about £110.

Looks like a pretty good deal for those of you in the need? If son was still here doing his thang, I would get on.

I have had a Seagate USB3 drive for a year or so now, super fast and totally reliable.

Dave.

I could use more storage.

Interestingly, the bigger the storage, the more nervous I get . . . in case it falls over.

I have a friend who shuns big drives. He claims they are too risky. What he does is scavenges old hard drives that nopbody wants and he gets for nothing: old 20gb drives and similar. He uses them as a kind of removable storage. When one is full, he swaps it with another, and has a shelf full of catologued drives.

£110 is cheap for 5TB storage without a NAS. I'd be wary. What brand is it? Is it a single drive?
Untitled Page

Ah! Should have the link working now? Dabs have been around a long time and Seagate are pretty good?

As for the "all eggs in one basket" point? Twas ever thus unless you go RAID. In any case a NAS drive should not be working all that hard? How many system drives fail on you and they are chunttering all the time. My Freecom 2TB NAS has a sleep function so it doe sweet FA until called upon then sleeps again when left for 10 minutes.

Dave.

It looks more like just a USB drive - does it have NAS capabilities?

As you go 2TB and upwards, I think the chance of failure rises quite sharply - some people won't have drives larger than 1TB. I wouldn't use a drive like this as single storage for important files, but for backup it would be fine.

Personally, I use a 4-bay Synology NAS loaded with 3TB WD Red drives in Raid, so I have 1 drive redundancy. I run backup for the important stuff to a 1-bay NAS, which is itself is backed up to a USB drive that I swap out whenever I go to my mum's for cold storage. Belt and braces.

Back