My project HDD fried.

I think recover is the first order.

Yep.

Didn't find the Acronis disc but found my registration info and just downloaded and installed.

Drive in the freezer for a while.

Any suggestions about using Acronis 2011 to retrieve data David?

Yep.

Didn't find the Acronis disc but found my registration info and just downloaded and installed.

Drive in the freezer for a while.

Any suggestions about using Acronis 2011 to retrieve data David?

My suggestion is, boot from Acronis and see if the drive is recognized. If it is, you are one step closer. Once you have that, you will need a target drive. You can get that after Acronis recognizes the source drive. You may be able to run it out of windows, I've never tried it as I've had to recover system drives, so I couldn't boot up.

Main item here is, get Acronis up and running (try Windows first) and see if it will copy. If not, use a Boot up disk/USB and try it that way. The reason I say boot up is that if you boot up using Acronis, it doesn't depend on Windows OS so may be more forgiving.

Summary, first see if you can copy one drive to another drive in Windows. If that doesn't work, boot up using Acronis and check to see if it is recognized. You may have to run a utility to fix the data once it is completed. Using Windows, tools check for drive issues. This will fix data corruption issues. You may need another tool for that. But once you can get to the data, that might be your next step.

---------- Update ----------

I just called Datatech and they quoted $1000-$2000 for data retrieval.

I am in the wrong business....

Yea, they are disaster recovery, so they are doing heavy data recovery. I don't think your HD is that far gone.

Hey, tried to PM you, I was blocked. Send me a PM, you can call me and maybe work through this. You can spend the $2K later ;)

My HD is that far gone now. After 4 hours in the freezer I plugged it back in. Some initial clicks but it went smooth. Still not recognized by Windows.

Then, it jumped about an inch across my desk with a quite loud noise. No more spinning. It toast.

:(

Woah, I can't say that I've ever witnessed that! The ol' Mexican Jumping HDD. Sorry man, that sucks big time.

I remember some old IBM's that would require them to be tapped to start (we are talking early 90's). I think the PS2's not for sure anymore, but I had never sen one jump. Maybe after freezing it, it unstuck and spun. I am just guessing, I've just never have seen it. That's a lot of torque.

Dropped off the drive at Data Tech Labs. Hoping for less than $2g for recovery.

In the mean time I am using a spare drive and just purchased Carbonite. I will not allow this to happen again. Wish I would have thought of this sooner....

Lesson learned.

---------- Update ----------

Woah, I can't say that I've ever witnessed that! The ol' Mexican Jumping HDD. Sorry man, that sucks big time.

LOL! It was a Mexican Jumping HDD!

Actually scared me. Was not expecting that. :eek:

I remember some old IBM's that would require them to be tapped to start (we are talking early 90's). I think the PS2's not for sure anymore, but I had never sen one jump. Maybe after freezing it, it unstuck and spun. I am just guessing, I've just never have seen it. That's a lot of torque.

I think the drive sensed my desire to hit it with a hammer and just killed itself instead. It took a bunch of self control not to. Once I get the bill I will have to try not to hit myself with the hammer...

No ac, try booting with a "live" Linux CD

I saw on FB you've tried USBing the drive to another machine.
As stupid as it sounds....try all your machines, and try a mac! (I know...I know)

I rescued several years of photography from a friends 'dead' windows drive recently. Wasn't recognised at all by several laptops but eventually, and at a certain angle (not joking), i got it to spin up on my macbook pro.

It took a LOOONG time and several goes, but eventually I backed up about 100gb of stuff.
If you're lucky enough to get that far, do your copies in very small chunks. No big folders.

If you are trying hooking up to others PCs to see if they can read the files, try going to distrowatch.com and find a Linux distro ISO that burns to a CD (or DVD). Boot to your CD/DVD drive and it will run a totally non-Windows OS fully in Memory.

I use Puppy Linux, but others may do the job just as well.

If it won't spin you're pretty well toast. But, if it's a FAT problem or whatever, I found a USB drive reader for 35$ that actually could read and transfer the data to another laptop. Hope the bill isn't too steep.

Still waiting to hear the damage and cost...

Really curious how much this life lesson is going to cost me. At this point, it just is what it is.

I will move on from there. :)

Back