My new PC is WAY TOO LOUD!!!

tsphillips

Waaaaaah!

My new Dell is way too loud. With my old Dell I could smother the CPU with a large sleeping back, and then I could record with mikes and what hum there was would not be picked up.

This new Dell is different. It is shockingly loud, and sometimes get even louder when Cubase is recording. It is completely unacceptable. Even smothering it will not keep the loud sound from being picked up. It sounds like a main frame room!!

I have heard you can replace the powerunit and fan with ones that are practically silent.

Is this true? How much does it cost? Is it tricky to do? I have never done anything to a PC other than add new PCI cards. Any risks involved?

Thanks

if you keep a sleeping baG over your computer you're going to have much bigger problems than noise! :)

Some of the new dells (optiplex models) use blower fans instead of the "traditional" ball-bearing fans and i've found them to be very quiet. They also have a somewhat insulated case. Have you tried dynamat? :)

Hey, muskgrave.

Can you get some extended cablage and stick it in a closet or something?

apl said:
Hey, muskgrave.

Can you get some extended cablage and stick it in a closet or something?

Exactly! My studio is the next room over from my office and all my cable go through to the next room through a 2"x4" hole in the wall. ZERO NOISE, little cost, no funky fan fixes to blow up the machine. Peripherals plug into USB hub.

You can also stick it in a closet and close the door when recording.

I dont HAVE a next room. And THIS new Dell, blower or not, is really loud and wheezes and gets louder and softer (but never actually soft, just not as loud) seemingly for no reason at all.

A friend of mine in Ohio records using a remote TV set up that still allows him to operate the PC controls from a room across the hall. He also has mikes made by some little, old man in a small village in Germany.

I don't.

So I have to in the same room.

But using the sleeping bag is not a problem, as I only do that while I am actually recording and then take it off the moment I stop and it stays off when I am doing play back or anything other than recording with microphones, which is rarely more than 4 or 5 minutes at a time.

But I would rather not do that at all.

Hrm...most Dells are on the quieter side, thanks largely to their double working the case fan into the CPU fan as well with some ducting. I'm going to take a wild guess and say your noise is coming from the video card fan.

If it were me, I'd do some whacky stuff on that thing possibly including:

1) underclocking the video card and lowering the fan speed.
2) removing the card fan and adding a low-speed 80 mm over top of it.
3) replacing the hsf on the vid card with something big and heavy and fanless (like, oh, the Zalman...)

But you're not me. Have any tech friends you can talk to?

BTW, you really should be careful about the whole sleeping bag thing. 5 minutes under a sleeping bag or something similar could see a newer system's ambient temperature rise as much as 20 degrees Celsius...

(I know; I recently tried making a cabinet for one of my computers...)

Back