My Mac G4/M-audio/ProTools situation...

lo beam

I'm kind of new to the whole world of computer recording, coming from more of a tape & then digital 16 track DAW background...but pretty soon I'm going to have a g4 Powermac ( 450 cpu, 512 ram) to play with.
I'm going to run ProTools Free on it ( can't afford full blown PT just yet) & I have a little audioBuddy pre. I'm also thinking about getting a better soundcard - something like the Audiophile 2496 or delta 44.

So...will these cards be compatible with my set-up? And - forgive me - how do they connect up?? I'll be mainly recording using mics so I go into my AudioBuddy via XLR cables, then out via 1/4" jacks and then....? Where? I'm a bit confused by all the inputs & outputs I see on those cards.

Thanks..

lo beam said:
Ibut pretty soon I'm going to have a g4 Powermac ( 450 cpu, 512 ram) to play with.
I'm going to run ProTools Free on it ( can't afford full blown PT just yet) & I have a little audioBuddy pre. I'm also thinking about getting a better soundcard - something like the Audiophile 2496 or delta 44.

So...will these cards be compatible with my set-up?

Check the following link:

http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/ptfree_qa.html

Yeah, I know my G4 will be compatible with PTFREE...and it looks like the 2496 will be too...I was more concerned with whether the card would work ok with the Mac & how it all hooks up. I'm assuming some sort of 1/4" jack>rca cable?

Ta.

Yes, you will need RCA to 1/4" (TS) cables from the preamp to the soundcard.

You will also have to be running Mac OS 9 to use Pro Tools Free.

lo beam said:
Yeah, I know my G4 will be compatible with PTFREE...and it looks like the 2496 will be too...I was more concerned with whether the card would work ok with the Mac & how it all hooks up. I'm assuming some sort of 1/4" jack>rca cable?

Ta.

It should work with the old G4 provided you have an open PCI card slot. I owned a G4 450 tower and I believe there were 3 64-bit PCI slots. As Alexbt said, you will also need OS9 and M-Audio drivers for OS9.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.drivers

I assume you will be working with a limited number of tracks, plugin, etc. The old G4 450 does not have a lot of processor power by today's standards.

Thanks man. Yeah, I'm aware that it's not a bells & whistles machine compared to the G5, but I'm a) on an almost non-existent budget :) & b) basically using it to learn ProTools as I have a gig at a local studio doing sound editing for tv news & that's what they use there.
I'll only really be installing PTFree on the machine too ( and maybe digi-translator)...so it'll be dedicated to just running that.
I'm hoping I can do some simple recordings at home ...probably no more than 5 or 6 tracks...and then save the files & work on them at the studio.

Back