My computer gobbled up my CD!

CrowsofFritz

Flamingo!
Either the connection to the drive failed or the drive itself failed. Either way, it's stuck in there and I'm not getting it out. I didn't even get to download the songs!

:(

Anyone know how to disassemble a G5 Mac? They're so weird! :cursing:

If that can't be done, would you all think down on me for getting a free copy? I bought the CD...

W-what!?!

LOL! I was screwing and unscrewing things! :D :facepalm:

I'm going to do this right now. I love how we can modify old Macs. Can't say the same for the new ones. :p

I'm going to do this right now. I love how we can modify old Macs. Can't say the same for the new ones. :p

They're nice, huh?
If you ever need a screwdriver for your mac, you can be sure it'll be one of those fu**in annoying three pointed ones that no one ever has. :facepalm:

Most standard desktop optical media drives have a maual eject.
There's usually a pinhole in the front near the eject button.

If it's there, you'll need to find a long enough pin to force eject your disc.

I got it out!!! :)

The manual eject wasn't even working so I stuck my paper clip in the drive and moved the gears until the drawer was out enough for me to pull it. The drive was a piece of shit. I'm just glad I got my CD. :)

Cool.
If you're looking for a replacement do satisfy yourself first, but I'm pretty sure it's just a standard format optical drive.

I haven't looked at prices, but I wouldn't be shocked if the apple 'version' was three times the price.

Cool.
If you're looking for a replacement do satisfy yourself first, but I'm pretty sure it's just a standard format optical drive.

I haven't looked at prices, but I wouldn't be shocked if the apple 'version' was three times the price.

If it is an older model, you probably can't find them, unless on the used market. :)

Really? Then how come I always hear complaints about the upgradability for Macbooks and iMacs? Or is that just with things like the GPU and CPU?

I guess it must be. Cpu and Gpu are usually (always?) soldered in those units so the only user replaceable parts are HDD, optical drive and RAM. AFAIK graphics are completely integrated with i* chips now.

To be fair it is a complete hoor to replace the HDD or optical drive in an iMac, but the RAM is in a user accessible hatch under the screen.
The Macbooks+pros, recent ones at least, have a removable base panel that reveals HDD, RAM, and optical drive.
Like this.
I recently removed my optical drive and replaced it with a second HDD. It is 2013 after all. ;)

I did have to do work on a 2008 MBP recently and I'll admit it wasn't nearly as user friendly. The average guy probably wouldn't dismantle it confidently.

As with the iMacs, the RAM was accessible and the rest was more awkward.

I guess it must be. Cpu and Gpu are usually (always?) soldered in those units so the only user replaceable parts are HDD, optical drive and RAM. AFAIK graphics are completely integrated with i* chips now.

To be fair it is a complete hoor to replace the HDD or optical drive in an iMac, but the RAM is in a user accessible hatch under the screen.
The Macbooks+pros, recent ones at least, have a removable base panel that reveals HDD, RAM, and optical drive.
Like this.
I recently removed my optical drive and replaced it with a second HDD. It is 2013 after all. ;)

I did have to do work on a 2008 MBP recently and I'll admit it wasn't nearly as user friendly. The average guy probably wouldn't dismantle it confidently.

As with the iMacs, the RAM was accessible and the rest was more awkward.

Makes sense. Thanks for the info!

Back