My CD-RW drive doesn't like my PNY CD-Rs. Any ideas?

Whoopysnorp

I was recently given a box of 100 PNY CD-Rs (up to 16x compatible, 700MB). My CD-RW drive (Philips PCRW804) doesn't like them for some reason--if I try to burn one the computer freezes right after it starts burning the table of contents. Most 16x 700MB CD-Rs work fine, but not these. As that is an awful lot of blank discs, does anybody know a way I can persuade my drive to burn to these discs? I'm gonna go look for firmware updates in a second here.

Just resell the cdrs or keep them till you upgrade your burner.

If your burner doesn't like a brand of cdrs, I don't believe there is much you can do to 'persuade' it.

Slack's right. It's not uncommon for a particular burner to not like a particular brand of CDr's. No rhyme or reason to it that I have been able to figure out, either.

Follow Slack's advice, find and stay with a brand (or brands) that you know work with your burner.

I bought a box of 10 Comp-USA discs that seem to burn fine on my Plextor CD-RW. Problem is, after they've been burned, I can't read them on anything else. Go figure. (Serves me right for buying COMP-UselessA brand anyway).

I was afraid of that. I managed to find a firmware update--Philips' website is terrible; it's impossible to find anything there, and I wound up finding a link to the firmware in a German hardware forum--, but I haven't retried the offending discs yet.

Back