My Analog/Digital Studio: Advice, Tips, and What More Do I Need?

ericeholtz

:) Hello everyone,
I am posting the particulars of my recording system, which includes both analog and digital elements. My end goal is to have the ability to route my analog recording console’s direct outputs to my computer in order to have automated mixing capability. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Here is the breakdown of my current recording process:

• Analog source - reel to reel, cassette, Lp record, VHS/S-VHS audio, or 8-track cartridge– is mixed and outputted from the mixer as a two-channel stereo mix.
• Stereo mix -> dbx 231 Graphic Eq. -> Aphex Aural Exciter -> dbx 166XL Compressor/Limiter/Gate -> Denon DN-C550R Professional CD Recorder
• The resulting CD (I use CD-RW at this stage) is then ripped as .wav files into my PC using Nero 9 Multimedia Suite; final tweaking and mastering are done in Wave Editor.

I want to run my board’s direct outs (or group outs) directly to a good quality, USB audio interface, and then into my computer; I only need 8-inputs for the 8-line level outs at this time, even if I use 8-group outs. Would I be able to mix the analog signals in real time, with the interface output being the same as those of the analog faders, effects, and pans? Simply put, I want the analog mix levels to be represented digitally, in multitrack format, as they are on my board. I can come close to a perfect mix in the analog domain, but I want automated mixing capability, and the ablity to tweak those tracks in the software. I do not want to do an entire mix from scratch on the computer, so can I mix in analog and have that mix called up as “scene memory”?
What would be a good choice of audio interface, remembering I only need 8-analog, line level inputs (since they are coming off of a multitrack) which can run simultaneously?
What about software? I’ve looked at Cubase and Studio One; I was told that software really comes down to personal preference. I am planning an upgrade to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit in the upcoming week.
Thank you beforehand for your time in reading this,

Eric Holtz
Holtz Media Solutions

Update: It appears that I am going to have to stay with Vista Home Premium – 32bit for some time longer.

Any particular reason you're using a graphic eq instead of a parametric? The latter would be high on most people's list.

Parametric Eq

I use the parametric eqs on the board's channel strips during recording; they are used sparingly during mixing. Myself, people I've recorded, and the band I am a part of like the finished sound, and the utter simplicity by which it was recorded. The next step is fine tuning, and having the ability to automate the mixes. I recently purchased a Tascam US-2000 USB Audio Interface which will allow me to record 16-tracks simultaneously. My purposes now only require 8-tracks at once (from the multitrack board group outputs or directly from the recorder itself), but this allows me now to have the analog tape tracks occupying 8-tracks in the software, thus allowing me to overdub digitally, all of the parts which were prohibited due to the lack of more analog tape tracks. I'm still going to experiment with 16-track analog multitrack in the future, but the tape is SO D***** EXPENSIVE! :)

Back